Do I need new retainer now?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Do I need new retainer now?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I use an essix retainer at night. I just had to get a filling on my lower right eye tooth on the inside. The dentist said it is perfectly flush with the tooth and shouldn't affect my retainer at all. But the morning after I wore them for the night, that tooth was hurting a little, as if it were being forced to move, like when the braces were on. It has only been 2 days, so I don't know if it will continue, or if I should just give it some time.

What do you think? Should I just give it some time, and see if the sensitivity goes away, or do I need to get a new lower retainer before I get myself into real trouble here?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Luella

#2 Post by Luella »

I always have a little bit of pain in a tooth after it's filled or anything, so I would think it shouldn't have anything to do with the retainer- and the dentist (hopefully) knows what he's talking about. I'd give it a few more days and see how you feel then, and call the ortho or dentist if you're still having pain.
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Thank you! I'll give it a few more days. The pain always happens in that tooth as I'm taking the retainer out, and maybe a little while afterwards. Right now it's even bothering me a little, and it's been 5 hours since then. I just don't want my tooth to start moving around.

It's only been a couple days so far. I'll give it another week and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

Well, it's been a few days, and it appears you both are correct! The tooth has stopped giving me any trouble. Thank goodness for that, and thank you both for your advice!