Bonded retainer ungluing

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyGoddess

Bonded retainer ungluing

#1 Post by LadyGoddess »

Does anyone know what kinda glue I could apply to my fixed bonded retainer? My ortho is 2 hours away and with gas prices being the way they are, etc, etc... Only one side has come undone after 2 months with it on.

I'm looking for something safe and toxic-free to keep the fixed bonded retainer on there.

Thanks!

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

Nothing you could use would be strong enough. I wouldn't even try because you could trap bacteria under the glue and cause serious damage to the tooth or gum.

Just put aside the worry about the gas you use (hard, I know). Your teeth are worth more than that. If you get 20mpg, that 2 hours (120 miles) will cost about $24. Not really terrible if you consider the cost of losing a tooth!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

nimo

#3 Post by nimo »

I know that your regular ortho is hours away, but in an emergency situation could you go to someone else? This happened when I chipped my tooth on a weekend. My regular dentist wasn't open on Saturday, so we found someone who was. It may even be possible for a regular dentist to reapply your retainer.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Dawna

#4 Post by Dawna »

My bonded retainer came unglued on one tooth when my ortho was closed (he only works every other Friday). I called my dentist and explained, and she glued it on for me no problem.