I don't want to talk funny again! Help, por favor!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NishaGh1

I don't want to talk funny again! Help, por favor!

#1 Post by NishaGh1 »

Hey y'all! I just found out that I only have six more weeks to go before the braces come off! My ortho said I'll be getting the Essex retainers and I was wondering whether I'll be lisping or have any kind of speech impediment while wearing them. I had expanders in for 4 months and for 4 months, I sounded like a 5-year-old who didn't know how to pronounce my words. My ex-boyfriend even admitted that sometimes he couldn't even understand me.

Everyone told me that I would get used to the expanders and talk normally within a week or so, but that wasn't true and now I'm hearing the same thing about retainers. I was really self-conscious with my lisp and I'm afraid that if I have one with a retainer, then I won't wear it as much as I should. Does anyone have any stories to share? :D

SnowSara

#2 Post by SnowSara »

I didn't have an expander, but my essix retainers weren't very hard to get used to. See this thread for advice I gave there:

viewtopic.php?t=26760

I now find my essix retainers to be super comfortable and easy to speak in.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.