Essix Retainers or Hawley Retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DotDotDot

Essix Retainers or Hawley Retainers?

#1 Post by DotDotDot »

I'm getting my braces off soon and I would need to choose one.
Some of my friends say the clear ones break super easily. Also, that you can easily see food stuck between your teeth or under easily with the clear ones. Is that true?
What are the pros and con's? Which one would you recommended and prefer?
Thanks

SnowSara

#2 Post by SnowSara »

Even though I don't mind my essix at all and find it easy and comfortable to wear (haven't had any of the visible food problems, that's why you at least swish after eating? and they're pretty durable as long as you take care of them) - if I had the choice I would get a hawley simply because it will last longer and I plan on wearing mine for a lifetime.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

ishasha

#3 Post by ishasha »

I just came from my ortho's office. I'm going to deband in two weeks. :D We have dicussed about the retains several times. At first she said I can wear an essix. After some research, I expressed my concern about biting to her. This time she said she will let me use a hawley for about a year (at least 6 months) to let my teeth settle and make sure the biting is perfect then switch to an essix. I think that sounds reasonable. Although I heard hawley is not as comfortable to wear, I want to do what is good for my teeth. I've come a long way and I don't want it to be messed up...

Hope this helps.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007