Do Essix retainers not maintain arch expansion?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NishaGh1

Do Essix retainers not maintain arch expansion?

#1 Post by NishaGh1 »

I just read online that Essix retainers aren't good for patients who've had their arch widened with expanders because the retainers are too flimsy to hold the arch. Here's what I read at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive ... 04000.html

- Can’t use essix on patients who have been treated with expansion appliances (RPE, quad helix, Schwartz expander etc). Essix is too flimsy to maintain the arch width.

Does anyone know about this?

BoSox2008

#2 Post by BoSox2008 »

Not sure if every case is the same. My arch was significantly expanded using braces and elastics throughout the treatment. I recently got debanded and although I bought a pair of Essix retainers and was told to only wear them "during moments where appearance is critical". I have been wearing them to important meetings at work, out with friends, etc. He said that the rest of the time, he'd like for me to wear my Hawley retainer because it upholds the arch.

I must say, I have had days where I wear the Essix from 6am-9pm and when I put my Hawley in it doesn't feel tight. I bet everyone is different but from common sense type thinking - the Hawley just looks like it would work best on the arch. However if you think about it - if your teeth are held in their exact position using the Essix, your arch really can't do anything but follow along. Its not like your teeth are going to fall off your arch :)

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

From what I have heard, most orthodontists prefer Hawley retainers in general for a large variety of reasons. I would suspect that a Hawley would retain better than an Essix if you've had SARPE or any type of expansion because it fits to your palate and allows your teeth to touch in a more natural way.

If you wear an Essix only occassionally for cosmetic reasons, it probably wouldn't do any harm, even if the Hawley feels tight later. Just make sure that you continue to wear the Hawley.

After braces (without expansion), a person's teeth seem to "settle in" after a few years of proper retainer wear. I've found (much to my surprise) that I can go several weeks without wearing my retainer and aside from it being a bit tight the first few times, it's OK. (Recently I had a bad sinus problem and just couldn't tolerate wearing my retainer until I got better a few weeks later). I'm not sure if it would be the same after arch expansion -- whether the arch holds by itself after a number of years go by. I would interested to know if that is the case, just for my own information.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!