debanding but...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ishasha

debanding but...

#1 Post by ishasha »

My friends, I feel really upset. I'd like to have some opinions from you...

I have one big question to ask: Is there anybody who is not satisfied with the teeth after debanding? And asked to have the braces back on???

I'm one who is not completely satisfied with my teeth after braces. :( Actually, they only took the uppers off. On the debanding day, they decided that the lowers need IPR so I'm still braced with lowers. The reason was because the upper front teeth are touching the lower ones (only one one most of the time) and are giving each other too much pressure. I have been thinking my teeth (both uppers and lowers) are kind of protruding too much, but the ortho does not think so. :shock: Well this IPR hopefully will ease the protruding situation on the lowers a little bit. But after they took off the uppers, I found the uppers are protruding... :cry: I almost wanted to ask her to put the upper braces back and do some IPR to make it less protruding. But is it possible??? Not to mention it really sucks to have to put the braces back! I just had them off yesterday. I'm going to the ortho in 2 days to have IPR done on my lowers. I wonder if I should ask her. ... Does this sound really weird? Everybody who is off braces seem so happy about their teeth. But I'm not... :-+
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

diande

#2 Post by diande »

Hey I am sorry you're not thrilled with your results after all the anticipation I'm sure you had. I have some issues pending concerning occlusion and emailed my Ortho one week before debanding. She simply assured me again that they would 'settle' into place. As far as I can see it will take a whole lot of settling but I decided to just wait and see, after all I still have the email I sent along with pics and I can prove my point in time to come if need be. I also need some gum contouring done and will have to speak to my dentist about that at my next visit. I am happy otherwise.

As for your concerns about protrusion, I got braces to close spaces between my upper central incisors and correct an overbite. Funny that even though my teeth has changed so much and the position now is what it should be I'm sure, I still wondered if my teeth were protruding at times. I think I had an unreasonable and dangerous expectation that properly aligned teeth are pushed back, kinda flatter than they really are.

I've been watching other nice teeth and think it's good where they are now. I can see the difference when I smile. I have a wide smile. Before my teeth were fixed, my upper lips would be real taut against the upper front teeth and now my lips are properly relaxed and look nice.

Also, I read that Orthodontists also take the natural facial structure/ type of the patient into account. I cannot explain it well now, it's been a while, but you could read up on that as well.

Keep us informed :)
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

ishasha

#3 Post by ishasha »

diande, thanks for your prompt reply!

Maybe I'm just thinking my teeth are protruding too... Maybe when I had a chance I should post some pictures...

Thanks for your advice and congratulate on your debanding again.
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007