Cleaning retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LizzyG

Cleaning retainers

#1 Post by LizzyG »

I have been using retainer brite to clean my essix retainers, but it is a pain to get hold of, so I was wondering if it would be ok to use denture cleaning tablets instead? As these are easily bought at normal chemists etc. Does anyone else do this?

KARESS

#2 Post by KARESS »

Yes, you can use that instead.

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

Check Lynne out at dentakit.com, fine host of this board. I buy a years supply from her for what my ortho charges for a four month supply. I'm sure shipping would be less than you'd think as it is quite light.

MIke
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

The printed brochure that came with my Essix retainer said to use soap and a tooth brush. When I asked about it, I was told that I could use a gel toothpaste (not a paste kind) instead of the soap because the gels were less abrasive than the paste types. For a while, I used Dr. Bronner's liquid soap to clean my retainer - the label says that it can be used for a toothpaste, mouthwash and about a zillion other things. If you've never seen Dr. Bronner's, you should take a look - it's a hoot.

I used gel toothpaste (the cheapest one I could find - got it at the Dollar Store) for a while, but now I use denture cleaner tablets. Much simpler just to let them soak.