Does anyone have a bonded upper retainer?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

QKate

Does anyone have a bonded upper retainer?

#1 Post by QKate »

I am trying to learn if bonded upper retainers are possible.
That is what I want.
My ortho said he thought it would break due to my bite, but he was unclear about it.

Does anyone have one and what is your experience with it?

Thanks

Traceymay

#2 Post by Traceymay »

Hi there

I have a bonded upper retainer, which I've had since being "debraced" in December 08.

The bonded retainer is for my top 6 teeth. Its very comfortable and gives a feeling (to me) of stability.

Cleaning is about the same as having a fixed brace. I have a small compact mirror that I use in conjunxtion with the bathroom mirror to make sure that the retainer is still intact and also to make sure that I have cleaned behind my teeth thouroughly.

The downside is that food does get stuck behind the wire occasionaly, but a quick swish of a drink tends to dislodge stuff.

My ortho has told me that I'll have to retain my teeth for life, but as the bonded retainer is unnoticeable to me most of the time, I'm fine with the concept