Cracks on my essix, should I replace?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

buurin

Cracks on my essix, should I replace?

#1 Post by buurin »

I posted here for a while, finished my treatment, and now I'm on nightly Essix retainers. I guess I should have come back earlier and post a conclusion to that. :oops: :D

However my lower retainer had developed some cracks. There is a crack along three of the lower right molars, and a vertical one towards the front so the retainer can bend a lot, but at least it's still in one piece.

I have read that Essix can fail at 1 year or so; myself having finished the course in April 2007 and this is my original retainer, I must say I'm doing good, but the cracks worry me. Top one is doing much better, but still had a hole worn through in the back.

Should I get a replacement Hawley at least for the lower? If so I have to make an appointment now as I am going out of country end of this month and I'd have no access to anything :lol: for a few weeks. And I don't like the feel of essixs pushing my teeth apart.

switchblades

#2 Post by switchblades »

I'd say at least contact your ortho, because you don't now how much impact the cracks will have on relapse. It's worth the replacement cost!

browneyedgrl

#3 Post by browneyedgrl »

I agree with Switchblades. It's definitely worth replacing for a minimal fee than going through treatment again.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]