Waiting for retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braciefacie

Waiting for retainer

#1 Post by braciefacie »

Hello all, I just got debraced today (yay!) - but I have to wait 2-3 days until I get my retainers. Is this a long time? I'm afraid my teeth might move a lot during this time :cry:

ingridb

#2 Post by ingridb »

I`m sure your teeth won`t move :) Some people have to wait for a week, so 2-3 days isn`t so bad. And your orthodontist know what`s best :wink:

Phantom Muse

#3 Post by Phantom Muse »

My daughter had her wires removed for two weeks, then she waited another two weeks for her retainers. You should be just fine for a few days!

Congrats!

braciefacie

#4 Post by braciefacie »

Thank you both for your responses. It has definitely eased my mind! The ortho did advise that I stick to a 'soft diet' until I get my retainers - but didn't mention why and I forgot to ask, as I was too busy looking at my teeth :lol: Does anyone know why that is?

Also, I will be getting the clear plastic retainers (Essix I think they're called judging by the descriptions on this board?). How do they fare compared to the traditional wire-retainers? And can I eat with them on?

Many thanks in advance!

Phantom Muse

#5 Post by Phantom Muse »

From my understanding, chewing can facilitate tooth movement, so maybe your ortho doesn't want your teeth to have too much exercise until the retainers are ready.

I don;t think you should eat while wearing your retainer - and I suspect you won't want to either! I am currently in Invisalign, and the idea of enjoying food while wearing them really is a turn off (and can lead to decay).

My daughter started with the plastic retainers, but the ortho was concerned that they were "opening" her bite, so he has switched her to Hawleys. She has a far more difficult time talking with the Hawleys - but that may be because she only wears them when she goes to bed and has had little practice talking while wearing them. She prefers them from a cleaning standpoint, as well.

braciefacie

#6 Post by braciefacie »

Thanks Phantom!

I just got my retainers today - bottom one fits fine. The top one, I can only get it in like 65%. The ortho said I should leave it on and in the next few days, I should be able to get it all up. I'm not sure about this - makes me really worried :(

braciefacie

#7 Post by braciefacie »

Okay, an update on my retainers (upper). Upon further inspection last night as I was attempting to put it on, I realised that one side just won't go in properly. So, I tried to put it in as much as it can and left in there while I slept.

Went back to the Ortho office this morning, to let her know about this and we got new molds done, as I will be getting the upper retainers replaced.

The Ortho mentioned that I should still try to wear my current retainers for the time being because it will take about 3 days to get the new ones, and she said that even though it doesn't fit in fully, at least it will help keep the (front teeth) in place and limit movement.

Can I just say that although I am glad to be getting new retainers, this whole situation has left me feeling somewhat stressed - in fact more so than getting the braces themselves! :(

macgirl4ever

#8 Post by macgirl4ever »

Ack! Your experience and a few others on this board has me sooooo worried! Luckily, the assistants at my office take really good impressions, but I would feel so frustrated if I waited for a retainer that didn't work. I thought that your ortho was supposed to "fit" the retainer before you left for it? The last time I was debraced, my ortho had my retainer ready that afternoon. It didn't fit completely right but she knew it wouldn't. She took a dremil like tool to smooth out a few areas and "activated" some wire. I remember it felt tight, but it was like a small glove fitting on a medium hand. It was snug, but it was definitely made for my dentition. Regardless, I would do what your ortho tells you but I can understand your concern about wearing an appliance that doesn't fit and would like to know how half way wearing a retainer still prevents teeth from moving.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

braciefacie

#9 Post by braciefacie »

macgirl4ever wrote:Ack! Your experience and a few others on this board has me sooooo worried! Luckily, the assistants at my office take really good impressions, but I would feel so frustrated if I waited for a retainer that didn't work. I thought that your ortho was supposed to "fit" the retainer before you left for it? The last time I was debraced, my ortho had my retainer ready that afternoon. It didn't fit completely right but she knew it wouldn't. She took a dremil like tool to smooth out a few areas and "activated" some wire. I remember it felt tight, but it was like a small glove fitting on a medium hand. It was snug, but it was definitely made for my dentition. Regardless, I would do what your ortho tells you but I can understand your concern about wearing an appliance that doesn't fit and would like to know how half way wearing a retainer still prevents teeth from moving.
The thing is, the ortho did try to help me put it on when they gave me the retainers the first time round. The uppers just wouldn't go in fully at all, but the ortho said to persevere and within in a week, I should be able to push it all in. Obviously, I felt really uncomfortable about this notion - because I was under the impression that the retainer should be tight but should still fit - unless it wasn't molded or set properly for whatever reason/s.

Anyway, the ortho told me that the new retainers will arrive early next week, but in the meantime that I should still continue with these and that I should not worry too much because they won't misalign my teeth and will keep them from shifting for the time being. I don't know the reasoning behind this, but I guess I will just have to trust the ortho and wait and see, come next week.

stokie66

#10 Post by stokie66 »

hi can i just say that i had my brace off on tuesday and didnt get the retainer till the friday and my teeth had moved also. I can get the retainer to fit but it doesnt seem as if pushes all the way up on my tooth theres a little bit of clear plastic it doesnt fit all the way in if that makes sense lol, this has pissed me off because im not entirely happy now with the results.

rcknrllmom

#11 Post by rcknrllmom »

Ugh, this is what I am worried about. I got them off Friday, got a permanent retainer on bottom, for some reason, they can't do that on top. I am waiting for my retainer to be done. Soon I hope. I am afraid that my teeth will move by then. I keep checking and swear that they have moved...yes I am paranoid about it...I wish this retainer would get done...soon!

alimommy1

#12 Post by alimommy1 »

Argh. I have a retainer and my ortho is supposed to be adding some components to it - now I remember the time between being seen and having the molds taken for the retainer and actually having it delivered was about 2 weeks. If I go a whole day without it, it feels tight and the contacts interfere with my bite. I usually only go a number of hours without and wear it at least every night as well as half the day. I cannot imagine what will happen if they send it to the lab and I have to wait 2 weeks without it. I am sure this is why I had relapse in the first place, I am one of those who will probably have to either have bondeds when I'm done this time around, or bondeds AND wear retainers every night forever. It's a shame that I've realized this but it's better that I know this so I can warn the ortho what I know....

And this will be it. After this I will make sure I have retainers that fit forever. I am not thinking I want a third go and I'm sure my ortho would be wondering as well.