First meal after braces

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TigerLily

#16 Post by TigerLily »

I've been thinking about this the last few days as I am getting my braces off in two weeks, but am struggling to think of stuff as in the last year or so I pretty much have anything I want (unless it was in a agony-filled post adjustment week). I have had times of not having things e.g. curry when I had clear powerchains but not much I haven't had for the entire the 2.5 years. French baguettes were always off limits but then I discovered one at Pret a Manger recently which is an 'artisan bread' and has quite a bit of mayonnaise in it so it's soft enough to chew (although I wouldn't have attempted it a week after adjustment).

So I think maybe proper pizza, yum and caramel sweets. And brazil nuts! I have had cashew nuts but only the brands I know are softer.

Should I book into nice pizza place for night of debracing, or will I be sore and I should wait a few days?

TigerLily

#17 Post by TigerLily »

Ooh.. crisps! I have had the odd packet but have sucked them.

And I haven't had a steak in 2.5 years, but I don't really eat beef much anyway.

Lela

#18 Post by Lela »

I don't remember what my first post-braces meal was, but I do remember that my teeth were sore for a while. I coudn't bite into an apple or carrot without discomfort for at least a month.

I don't know if my experience was typical, but all the super crunch, & chewy things were out for a while even after the braces came off :? .
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

TigerLily

#19 Post by TigerLily »

Oh. Thanks for letting me know! I won't book a table at the best place for pizza in London just in case. Fingers crossed.

Steph in Sac

#20 Post by Steph in Sac »

A big sandwich!!! It will also be nice to be able to bite into a slice of pizza rather than using a knife and fork.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#21 Post by blindboarder2008 »

fish and chips were my first big meal and i had gum as soon as they were off as well!!!! I've tried to eat apples the old fashion way but i end up getting a really bad hedache and my jaw gets super sore so i'm waiting it out. I'm actually being checked to see if I have tmj or something cause i've been getting really bad headaches on and off for over a month now!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

catfish

#22 Post by catfish »

On my de-bracing day, I left the orthos and went out to breakfast. I passed on the bacon thinking it would be too crunchy, but I bit into my toast with no problem. My teeth felt pretty good right after my braces were removed. I expected some pain, but really didn't have any. I will try bacon next!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Takako

#23 Post by Takako »

Tough chewy things! Without having to pull them to pieces first! Like today, I just bought some bread from a farmer's market. I just had an adjustment Wednesday. I'm able to eat bread now, but NOT the "normal" way! I had to break it into little pieces! My teeth hurt too much to chomp!!

ingridb

#24 Post by ingridb »

I`m gonna take my braces off soon :) I want to eat popcorn and peanuts. It`s going to be weird to not have all the food stuck in your braces after eating...But off course wonderful! :D

mihaelici

#25 Post by mihaelici »

I managed to eat everything while having braces, even corn on the cob (that was bit messy business though and a bit difficult to bite), popcorn, Snickers, pretty much everything.. I'll probably have chewing gum now :)

jackjack

#26 Post by jackjack »

anything and everything. i can pretty much eat anything i want. but just knowing i can eat without with my braces will be exciting. for now i definitely stay away from popcorn and nuts.

jackjack

#27 Post by jackjack »

Oh my gosh i forgot about BEEF JERKY!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#28 Post by blindboarder2008 »

ingridb wrote:I`m gonna take my braces off soon :) I want to eat popcorn and peanuts. It`s going to be weird to not have all the food stuck in your braces after eating...But off course wonderful! :D
oh believe me it is totally weird not having the food all stuck in your teeth and braces wires! the first meal i had post braces treatment i was thinking what is going on? usually food is always getting stuck in my teeth but not tonight, then i remembered that my braces were gone!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

dizzyintechnicolor

#29 Post by dizzyintechnicolor »

My first meal was mashed potatoes from Popeye's. LMAO. I wanted it to be corn nuts for some reason, but my teeth were too sore for something that crunchy.