Would you be happy with these results? (Pics)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Che1sea

Would you be happy with these results? (Pics)

#1 Post by Che1sea »

I just got my braces off last week, but I still don't like my smile. My top 2 front teeth don't show enough. I have never seen anyone else with this problem. My ortho said it was because I have a low lip line, but my dad has that too and you can see his teeth a lot. I don't want to get any major surgery done, though. I am way too scared. I really want my smile to look normal where you can see all of my front 2 teeth or at least most of them. You can only see all of my teeth on the sides. I have seen other people with top lips like mine where they go down in the middle, but you can see all of their top teeth when they smile.
Before I had my braces, my 2 top front teeth were a little more visible. My ortho originally brought my teeth up so that you could hardly see my top center teeth AT ALL. So then I told him I didn't like it, and he brought them down a little. He said he couldn't bring them down anymore, though, now.
My smile also looks different now, like the shape/my lips…will it go back to how it was after awhile of having the braces off? And I feel like my teeth look too straight across when I smile now. :(

This is what my smile looked like the day I got my braces put on.

And more pictures of before the braces:

And this is after the braces: See how my lips go backwards more? And not as upwards?

ingridb

#2 Post by ingridb »

I have the same problem! I`m happy with my smile after braces, but you can`t see more than half of my teeth! And you can`t see the gum. But I think that it`s just the way it is. But at least, you are not the only one!:)

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Maybe it's different in person, but I think your before and after pics show about the same amount of tooth. As for the lip issue--that's just the way you are made--be proud of it b/c it's unique to you. Your dad/other people have entirely different facial structures then you, different sized teeth, or maybe even an overbite.

Perhaps the ortho couldn't pull down your front teeth more w/o compromising stability or the health of your tooth. FWIW, I had a friend in high school whose front lip came down so much none of her teeth showed when she smiled. I never thought much of it and neither did she.

Honestly--I think your smile is really nice.

Che1sea

#4 Post by Che1sea »

ingridb: I thought I was the only one who had that problem! Well, besides my twin sister.

TumbleDryLow: Thanks. I just don't know where I got my teeth/smile from. Everyone in my family shows their teeth and have good smiles...except maybe my dad's mom. I seem to have gotten everything bad from her: her short height and her bad hairline. When I was younger, I had really big teeth that showed...maybe I grew into them. Ugh, and I just feel like my smile doesn't look natural anymore.

venusasaboy

#5 Post by venusasaboy »

I think your teeth look awesome! I wish mine looked that straight! I have the exact opposite of your problem- my gums show when I smile. You should definitly just get that long string connected to your upper lip cut. It will allow you to show a lot more teeth. The reason I think that is the best option for you is because I would have to do the opposite- have mine cut and brought back down to keep my upper lip in place and keep it from raising up when I smile. It is a really simple procedure! I know people who have had that weird string pierced, and there's almost no feeling in that spot. Do it! You should be happy with your smile, cause its nobody elses but yours!
I'm going to have braces forever :[

Che1sea

#6 Post by Che1sea »

Thanks! I was just looking at the paper that I got after my consultation with my ortho in the beginning, and under "Diagnosis" it says "Abnormal upper soft tissue attachment." That must be referring to the frenum, right?

Oh, and you know what's weird? I never got after pictures taken at my ortho, but my sister did. I'm going to call them, and see if I can come in to get them taken.