retainer help

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ryan91

retainer help

#1 Post by ryan91 »

Hello there :)
I got my braces off on Tuesday, and got fitted with a plastic retainer today - although, all is not well! I don't think the top one fits too well !
When I push the retainer in, there is a small gap between the bottom of the two front teeth, and the bottom of the retainer - when I push that part up, the retainer seems to then hang off the tooth that is in the upper left hand side of my mouth ( my left ) . Is this normal, and will it eventually stay around the tooth ???

TumbleDryLow

Re: retainer help

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

When I first got my retainer it didn't fit well either. I had to bite on cotton for the first few days to get it seated. Now it fits very well, but I have the same spaces as you do. I think that's normal.

retainergirl4life

#3 Post by retainergirl4life »

From my experience, this is okay...just make sure to wear them as much as possible and it should start to fit better. If that doesn't work after a month definitely call your ortho. I have had 4 sets of retainers and some have fit better than others. My newest retainers fit perfectly and when I was having the molds done, my ortho said HE wanted to do them because he wanted them to come out perfectly...which tells me that if the molds are not done perfectly the retainers don't fit as well as they should. I think this explains why some of my retainers haven't fit as well as my new ones.

1fifthmiles

#4 Post by 1fifthmiles »

Is it normal for there to be saliva inside the essix retainer when you wear them? It sorts of irritates me and I have to take them out to remove the saliva every few mins. Also, I realized that one of my tooth shifted!!! But I wore my retainer for about 19 hours ytd. Btw I just got my retainers on wed.