Don't trust removable retainers now - I want permanent ones!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NishaGh1

Don't trust removable retainers now - I want permanent ones!

#1 Post by NishaGh1 »

Hi everyone. I have been out of braces for a number of years now and have been using removable (Essix) retainers for a while now. I'm worried that the retainers "stretch" after a few months/years and don't hold my teeth as tightly in place anymore. For example, I just recently started using a new set a few months ago and, to try an experiment, I put the new ones in immediately after wearing my old ones all night and it felt so much tighter, AND I felt additional movement/straightening of my teeth! Now I'm paranoid that my retainers are "slacking," so to speak and I want to get both top and bottom permanent retainers, as well as removable ones to hold my back teeth in place. The trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding an ortho who will do all this in Houston. I actually had FastBraces (which I don't think is even a real ortho office - they left a bad taste in my mouth; when I gave them a bad review, the guy actually confronted me and asked me what I meant) and they don't do permanent retainers. So does anyone know an ortho in Houston that would be willing to do all this?

Also, do y'all think that it's true that Essix can lose their effectiveness after a certain amount of time? Has anyone else ever experienced/worried about this?

Yoga20

Re: Don't trust removable retainers now - I want permanent o

#2 Post by Yoga20 »

In the exact same position - Although I have only had my braces on one day.

I want bonded retainers at the end of all this and my ortho doesn't use them? I know I will have compliance problems and/or lose them and have no issues with wearing the retainer for life. so frustrating.