got my retainers today, a couple of questions

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

quiggle

got my retainers today, a couple of questions

#1 Post by quiggle »

Hi everyone, I received my retainers today and have a couple of questions. The first is, what is the best way to put them on and remove them? Are there particular areas on the wire I should refrain from touching, as I have the worst hands and tend to break fragile things very easily (while my orthodontist stressed being careful on where I place them, I'm more worried on breaking them or misaligning the wire). Also, my top retainers fit well and are stationary but I'm noticing my bottom ones feel a little looser, and when my tongue touches the inner plastic part or when I yawn, I have this feeling as if the retainer itself lifts up, is this normal? Thank you!

quiggle

Re: got my retainers today, a couple of questions

#2 Post by quiggle »

also, how do the rest of you remove your upper and lower hawley retainers? I see some people pull them out from the plastic side and others lift it up by the back wire. which is the recommended and safest way to do so and not damage it? thank you!

loradora

Re: got my retainers today, a couple of questions

#3 Post by loradora »

Here's a youTube video showing to put in and remove Hawley Retainers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYjXZhegjjg