Zoom! Whitening Nightmare !!!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

just_jenn

Zoom! Whitening Nightmare !!!!

#1 Post by just_jenn »

Ok so I wore braces and decided to get my teeth whitened... I have been waiting for this day for 2 YEARS. So I thought I would do it up right and do the in-house Zoom Whitening procedure. You know the kind they do for all those make-over shows.

My dentist offers the in-house plus you get the take home kit with trays, and a Deluxe Oral-B toothbrush all for $675.00. You can just get the take home kit and trays for $300.00.

So anyway, I go in and once again I have to go through the making of the molds process. Some offices do it much better than others. Let me say I did not have a pleasant experience. She made the molds so runny that it felt like it was going to drip down my throat. So needless to say I was gagging.

Ok thinking the worst was behind me, I was looking forward to getting these yellow teeth pearly WHITE... She starts by putting this vaseline type stuff on my lips and I am thinking piece of cake. Then she puts that plastic piece in my mouth that pulls your lips back and keeps your mouth open, just like when the braces were put on. But this one actual had another piece that forced your tongue to stay halfway back in your mouth. Ok this was not very comfortable but was do-able. So then as she takes her sweet time, she begins putting almost like tissue paper but a bit thicker all around my gums. But not just above and below the teeth but also inside my mouth on the bottom gums. Then the last straw was she put that stuff on top of the roof of my mouth and it is tickling the back of my throat. She tells me it is necessary to cover all the gums (basically anything pink) in my mouth with this stuff so the light does not burn the inside of your mouth. I start to panic thinking I am going to choke and she is slowly adding more and more tissues. Finally I started shaking my head "NO" and she grabbed a piece of paper so I could write on it and say "get this stuff out of my mouth".

So I left with the take-home kit to do at night !! For anyone considering doing this please keep in mind that it is not as simple as it may appear. There is no pain involved (at least not in the part I went through) but it is extremely uncomfortable. Although the nightwear will take 2 weeks to get the same results as the 1 hour office treatment, I will gladly wait!!!!

Still Yellow,
Jenn

HollyDontSpend

whoa!

#2 Post by HollyDontSpend »

My sister and I were looking to get that done when we get our braces off. I am so glad you wrote that. My sister kept gagging when they were putting the braces on (it was kind of funny to watch----but that's b/c it's my sister) and I can't imagine how she could get that done. Tee-hee!
That really sucks that you had to go though that. Are the trays working?
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

just_jenn

#3 Post by just_jenn »

I did the first tray lastnight and this morning not much difference. But he told me to do it for 2 weeks straight so I wasn't expecting any whitening miracles :lol:

I will keep you all updated on the progress... and by the way, I slept fine with the tray in.

BraceFace13

#4 Post by BraceFace13 »

That sounds BAD! My teeth aren't that yellow anyway. It's probably costly, too. Sorry that happened. :(

kelli

#5 Post by kelli »

I had Zoom done about two weeks after I had my braces off & while uncomfortable it was worth it 100% to me. What hurt like NOTHING I've ever experienced (I have high tolerance for pain) was my hygenist beforehand who did my cleaning digging so far underneath a crown while squealing, "This is temp, no?" (No, it had been on for six months, she saw me the day after it was put on!). I spent my night curled in a ball, sobbing through all of the pain medication I had because everytime my tongue came near that tooth the pain radiated through my entire body. If my Zoom had hurt I would have had no idea since I was so focused on my first trauma.
Top & Bottom started 1/24/05 --- Freedom as of 8/8/05.