sensitivity after braces came off

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

believer1964

sensitivity after braces came off

#1 Post by believer1964 »

Hi,

I just got my braces off 2 weeks. Just noticing extra sensitiviy when eating cold things or real hot things or when tooth paste hits certain teeth. I called the ortho to see if that is normal, they said yes , as part of the settling process. Said could take a month or so to go away.

Has anyone here experienced new sensitivity right after your braces were taken off? If so, how long before it went away?

LAJaw

Re: sensitivity after braces came off

#2 Post by LAJaw »

I was debraced ~2 months ago. I've never had sensitive teeth, but after getting debraced I had wild sensitivity around my upper premolars. I couldn't drink anything cold - I couldn't even use normal cold tap water to rinse after brushing, I had to warm it up first. I was super sensitivity for the first month, after that it eased off a bit but even now I'm still more sensitive than I used to be.
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

Noni

#3 Post by Noni »

I haven't had my braces off yet , but I notice that my premmolars or could be the molar become too sensitive ,is it because of the movement it had during the past month , the sensevity I feel is in the side where I used to have crossbite and all the teeth has moved a lot in this side .

Are you wearing your retainer ,? maybe it is your teeth that is used to be supported with the bracket and the wire , just thinking !

Quad Helix Expander and Braces to correct unilateral posterioor crossbite (TMJ treatment ). 6 months
Braces journey : 11 months 3 weeks (from 12 march 2012 to 3 march 2013)
My Story and Progress Update

Bloomingcactus657

#4 Post by Bloomingcactus657 »

I have a lot of sensitivity after getting braces. (I haven't gotten mine off yet.) It was worsened after I regained feeling after orthognathic surgery. I hope y'all's gets better because I feel a little desperate in hopes that mine will eventually go away.

reedross

#5 Post by reedross »

I'm having the same problem.......... it's been a month now, and several of my teeth are just so sensitive - to hot, cold, and even sometimes sweet. I mentioned it to my ortho's assistant and they said they'd never heard of that problem?