Black triangles after braces

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

quiggle

Black triangles after braces

#1 Post by quiggle »

Those who had black triangles after braces, did you leave it as is or did you do any cosmetic touchups to the area? Due to gum recession on the lower front, I have a number of these and after my orthodontic treatment I am feeling awkward showing my smile because they are quite visible whenever I open my mouth. Thanks!

illay

Re: Black triangles after braces

#2 Post by illay »

try searching 'gum graft' on google

Jethro

#3 Post by Jethro »

You may also want to talk to your dentist about having some bonding done to eliminate the black triangles (this has been mentioned in several threads here). A tooth-colored composite material is used to fill the spaces (triangles) and the results can be dramatic (in a good way).

I had IPR done while in braces, but still have a few small black triangles on the bottom due to the shape of my teeth, but since they don't show when I smile I opted not to do anything.

Good luck in getting your conerns resolved.

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

The cheaper option would be some cosmetic bonding like Jethro mentioned.

I have not ever had any bonding done myself so cannot talk from experience, but I've read online quite a few times now that cosmetic bonding to minimise or close up black triangles can be extrement difficult if they are small. I don't know whether any dentists on the forum could confirm this?

I also have black triangles and I am very near the end of my treatment, they've been there for way over a year now so they will still be there once the braces are off. I have 2-3 on my lower front teeth but these are not visible because my lower teeth can hardly be seen when I smile or talk. Unfortunately I also have 2 on my upper arch (right at the front of my mouth) and I feel these may be seen when I smile. I have been told by my ortho cannot correct these because to do it with IPR too much healthy enamel would need to be removed and they aren't willing to do that. I was told bonding or veneers instead. I cannot afford veneers and wont shave down 2-3 perfectly healthy teeth for veneers anyway. I may also skip the bonding and just learn to accept my upper black triangles.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

plugnickel69

#5 Post by plugnickel69 »

I recently have had conversations with both my ortho and dentist concerning black triangles. It seems that black triangles are a common occurrence with adult orthodontics, though it's not usually discussed at the beginning of treatment. I was told that the best option in my case would be just to live with it as they are not really visible when I smile. My dentist said it's hard to get a good result with bonding and veneers are a very costly solution. So I guess I'll probably just live with it.