Teeth Hurt After Braces Came Off (Agony)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dreamharp

Teeth Hurt After Braces Came Off (Agony)

#1 Post by dreamharp »

My teeth have hurt as soon as my braces came off. I wear my retainer all the time except eating and brushing teeth. The retainer fits fine.
It feels sore in between teeth. Is this normal after getting braces off?
Is it possible that old glue is embedded in the gums causing irritation?

Anyone have any ideas or advice? My ortho is on vacation.

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Mine have been a little sore too :( I would say it's pretty normal because your teeth are most likely trying to move back, but your retainer won't let them. My ortho advised me to chew a lot of sugarless gum for the first week or so to help settle my bite faster, because that would keep my teeth straight and also eliminate pain. Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

dreamharp

#3 Post by dreamharp »

johnnys_angel wrote:Mine have been a little sore too :( I would say it's pretty normal because your teeth are most likely trying to move back, but your retainer won't let them. My ortho advised me to chew a lot of sugarless gum for the first week or so to help settle my bite faster, because that would Ikeep my teeth straight and also eliminate pain. Good luck!
Great tip about the gum. Finally, a fun thing to do. I love to chew gum!

Dreamharp

rooroo

#4 Post by rooroo »

Mine hurt too until I got my retainers. Now they hurt all over again.
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment