Learning toward essix

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NervousNewbie

Learning toward essix

#1 Post by NervousNewbie »

I think I might have a choice between essix and hawley retainers. If I do, I'm leaning toward essix, and I'd like to see if my reasoning is flawed.

First of all, I have heard that essix are more comfortable. Comfort is important because if hawleys hurt, I'd be less likely to wear them and we all know how important retention is. I also need to be able to talk freely, and hawleys cause some people to lisp. I'm not in love with the idea of having something up against the roof of my mouth, either, and essix seems less crowding. Then there's the fact that I've been in braces for 3.5 years and I just want to be able to smile without wires. I know this is superficial, but it's just true. The thing that worries me is that it seems like essix retainers only last 1-2 years (based on what I've read on these forums) - is that true?

I wonder if I could have both made...

If you had a choice, what choice did you make and why?

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

Bikerchick85

Re: Learning toward essix

#2 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I think your reasoning is solid. Most orthos will tell you the best retainer for you is the one you WILL wear! I'm not in retainers yet for this treatment, but I had a Hawley upper when I was a kid. It didn't bother me and I found it quite comfortable. I'm leaning more towards essix retainers as well. I thought about maybe purchasing a Hawley as well but I haven't made my mind up yet.
Essix retainers are included in my fee for treatment and I think my ortho makes them in office so I can get those ASAP. I'm going to take that one and also enroll in the Vivera program. I plan on moving in the next year and want to be able to order replacement retainers whenever I want. I like the idea of Vivera storing a digital impression of your teeth and sending you 4 sets.

It is true that essix only last around 2 years. After that they start to really loosen up. My fiancé's daughter has had her braces off for 3 years and has an essix retainer that I've been begging her to get replaced. I can see her teeth shifting.
Do whatever is best for you and follow your ortho's recommendation. I know they do use certain retainers for some cases. Like if you've had an open bite I think they normally use Hawley's as Essix can open the bite back up.

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

I will have no choice, as my ortho only does permanent bonded retainers and essix for night time wear (both included in treatment cost), but this definitely made me feel better about eventually having to wear an essix.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

jem

#4 Post by jem »

Hi Nervous,

In addition to my essix retainer,my ortho fitted a bonded retainer behind my front 6 teeth. She said this is her policy in cases where she thinks relapse is likely.

Because I had heard that essix retainers will not last all that long, I paid £89 extra to get a hawley as well. I thought it best to get the hawley at the same time as the essix so it would be made from an impression taken immediately after my brace had been removed, rather than later when my teeth might have moved.

My ortho told me I must wear either the hawley or the essix 12 hours overnight. To get my retention phase off to a good start, I resolved to wear a removable retainer as close to 24/7 as possible for the first couple of months. Because of its invisibility, I chose to wear the essix and it was generally fine. My only issues were my inability to close my molars completely together with the essix and the fact that I had to remove it every time I wanted to eat or drink anything other than water ( how do people with invisalign cope?).

After the first couple of months when I have gone onto 12/7 retainer wear, I have preferred the hawley because I can close my molars completely together and because I can drink what I want and keep it in and can also eat most things with it in if I want.

I should say that the two retainers do fit slightly differently so I don't think it will be a good idea to chop and change between them.

I know what you mean about yet more time with a visible wire. I rarely wear the hawley out of the house. If I had to wear a removable retainer 24/7, I would probably opt for the essix because it is not visible, despite finding the hawley more comfortable and convenient.

It is nearly 6 months since I had my brace removed, so I should be having a follow up appointment soon.

Good luck with whatever choice you make with your retainers.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194