shortest treatment time???

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laura

shortest treatment time???

#1 Post by Laura »

Just wondering what your shortest treatment time has been or is going to be? I'm geeting my top teeth braced soon and am hoping to be finished in a year, if I have monthly adjustments.

jenns91civic

#2 Post by jenns91civic »

Depends on what needs to be done and how fast your teeth move. Monthly appointments are pretty much the norm, and going more often or less doesn't speed things up. Different types of braces only require you to go every 8 or more weeks but overall they don't work much faster, if at all.

I am sure I win longest time in braces, due to several factors...

Best of luck,
Jenn
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Clough

#3 Post by Clough »

Hi Laura

I know I'm not typical but I was told it would take 18 mths, and I had them taken off after 11mths. Now I have permanent retainers.

Good Luck!

Lala7603

#4 Post by Lala7603 »

hey
i was told 2 years and i got mine off in 13 months. i would say it really all depends on how fast your teeth move and all.
SMiles
lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

Laura

#5 Post by Laura »

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I will give it a go for a year and if they are more or less okay I will get them taken off and get a permanent retainer. Good to hear others have done the same thanks. I was told it would taken 18months.

jenns91civic

#6 Post by jenns91civic »

I highly recommend that you do NOT request your braces be taken off early. You will probably regret it later. 18 months isn't much longer than 12 months in the whole scheme of things. Sorry, but the way I see it, if you're going to commit to something, you might as well do it all and not back out over a few months. If your ortho says youre done in a year, that's great and very possible, but if not, don't back out early.

Side note: retainer choice is up to the ortho. Sure you can have input but ultimately it's up to them. Bonded rets aren't for everyone and they aren't often used on the top.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

kelli

#7 Post by kelli »

I was told 16-18 months and I got out in six & a half - my teeth moved quickly but I was getting migraines badly and it had gotten the point where functioning wasn't working out anymore. We probably got about 85% the results we were looking for (the back molars didn't come up as high as he would have liked but they don't bother me)... and funny enough, the headaches ceased.

I had a bonded retainer on my lower but it came off about three days later so I went to a Hawley - best thing.
Top & Bottom started 1/24/05 --- Freedom as of 8/8/05.