getting used to bonded retainer took:

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gina the teenager

getting used to bonded retainer took:

#1 Post by Gina the teenager »

2 DAYS FOR ME.
I was disapointed when I relized what the doctor had done and mad :o :evil: , but after one two days of it being constantly on my mind, I forget it's there and it is unnoticable to me-and the world! :D
So no worries!

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Thanks for the experience, Gina :D I agree, getting used to the retainer wasn't bad at all. And the 'getting used' wasn't bad either, it didn't hurt or anything...it just felt THERE. Good luck :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

Woohoo! That's what I like to hear! I'm getting a bonded retainer and I'm curious to see how it feels...but that's still a couple months away...
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

johnnys_angel

#4 Post by johnnys_angel »

Only a couple months?! I am so excited for you, Evelyn!! YAY!!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Chocoholic

#5 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey guys,

I;m getting my braces off soon and will be having permanent retainers. But don't know much about it, what does it entail and does it feel weird?

Chocoholic

#6 Post by Chocoholic »

I also wanted to ask, if you have permanent retainers do they attach them at the time they take your braces off?

johnnys_angel

#7 Post by johnnys_angel »

It depends on your ortho personally, chocoholic :) for me, my ortho first bonded the retainers, then immediately after he removed my braces. congrats on the soon debanding :D

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Got a question on those permanent retainers. Do they eventually take them off (years down the road) or are they really there permanently?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chocoholic

#9 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey Chris,

Well I got the anser to that quetsion today, I went for an adjustment and my ortho said he wants to take my lower braces off this week and fit the permanent retainer.

He covered my brackets in a giant blob of wax and took and impression so he can make the permanent wire the right shape.

I asked about the length of time permanent retainers are on, or are they just that - forever. He said they would always be on. He told me he's had so many patients from other orthos who had taken the retainers off after a year or two, mostly from pressure from the patient and the teeth all moved back, requiring more treatment.

He also told me he doesn't recommend the plastic removable retainers with a wire as they're pretty much useless at holding the teeth in place and only uses them on upper teeth which haven't required much treatment.

So that's it then bottom debanding Wednesday - whooohooo!

HollyDontSpend

That bonded

#10 Post by HollyDontSpend »

Oh those bonded retainers. :D I have both upper and lower and personally I am very comfortable with the bottom one, but the top one I am constantly playing with. It only took 2 or 3 days to get used to having it there and not trying to "tounge" it out of my mouth. It is nice to no worry about a removable one during the day though. :D
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

bombay sapphire

Not much bother

#11 Post by bombay sapphire »

I have bonded retainers. I do notice they are there, but I don't find them to be uncomfortable. As long as my straight smile is retained, I'm happy. :D