Discoloration under brackets

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

phanta

Discoloration under brackets

#1 Post by phanta »

Has anyone ended up with off-color squares when their braces were removed? That is such a big fear for me, I literally panic when I imagine taking my braces off (even though that's still over a year away).

What would be the guidelines to try prevent color differences?

I'm freaking out today especially intensely because I ate lots of blueberries today and it seems they dyed cement around some of my lower brackets. I can only imagine what it might be doing to my enamel (in terms of color changes). Needless to say, I'll be a lot more careful with berries, can't give them up completely, though. So any other pointers besides berries?

Also, since I brush my teeth more often now than I did before getting braced, they may be whiter than the teeth under the brackets. Am I wrong in thinking that?

TIA!

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

phanta

#2 Post by phanta »

Thanks, Karen.

I'm just wondering maybe some people who already had their braces off can pitch in (and they may not be reading MetalMouth board anymore).

I'm going to call my ortho's office tomorrow to ask about stained cement.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

w8ing2exhale

#3 Post by w8ing2exhale »

I wore braces for two years and I too was TERRIFIED of having the discoloration from the cement stains, but THANK GAWD, I didn't have any. However I was meticulous about keeping my teeth clean when I had my braces. I also am not a coffee drinker, smoker, or blue berry eater, lol.

Here is/was my cleaning regimine EVERY morning:

1) Waterpick my mouth TWICE

2) Rinse with PLAX. It's like mouth wash, but it is supposed to remove plaque.

3) Brush.

I think the key is keep your teeth CLEAN. So as long as you don't let the blueberries SIT on your teeth, I think you will be fine.

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I had braces and have them again now and I still have a slight worry about staining too. I had no staining the first time and believe me, I thought I would for sure. I think your chances are pretty good that you will not have any stains if you take good care of your teeth. What does your ortho say?

I did read somewhere that excess cement might cause staining :shock: I didn't have this the first time in braces but I DO have some excess on a few teeth now. I really hope this doesn't mean stains in my future.

spragers

#5 Post by spragers »

After 2.5 years with braces, I didn't have any discoloration behind the brackets, although I have a few other spots that seemed to change. I don't drink coffee or smoke, but I also didn't ahve the best oral hygiene regimine. If yours is better, I doubt you have to worry about staining.

blue-eyed-girl

#6 Post by blue-eyed-girl »

I wouldn't worry about it...sounds like you're being careful.

I had braces for 2 yrs. I drank AT LEAST 3 pepsi's a day...and at whatever I wanted (never broke anything either). I had no stains when they came off. I brushed, flossed & used ACT mouthwash as usual...but nothing else

flotsam

#7 Post by flotsam »

Yup, I, too, was terrified about this, since I love coffee and red wine and did see some staining on some of the exposed cement. But after 16 months (as of two days ago!!), I have insanely large (to me -- hee hee) all-one-color teeth. Woo!

What I mean is, you should be just fine! :-)[/img]