Fixing the permanent retainer? + SOME RELAPSE!-->HELP!!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brazilianhottie

Fixing the permanent retainer? + SOME RELAPSE!-->HELP!!!

#1 Post by brazilianhottie »

Hello all,
My permanent retainer on the bottom teeth got disattached twice.

Instead of going to the ortho, i went to my dentist. A frined of mine does this. And also i figured, my dentist can submit to the insurance as "office visit". I've maxed out the ortho insurance obviously.

The first tiem after attaching back : slight movement in a tooth, after the attachment.

Second time of attaching (after it disattached again) caused even more movement (they were fine for 2 weeks being disattad, then after glueing them back to the wire, they started moving).

Now there is a slight gap b/ the right canine and lateral on the bottom, hardly visible. And slight overcrowding at the other canine.

Decided to stop by the ortho and see what she has to say.
She'll probably complain about me going to the dentist.

Anybody has experience with a dentist re-attaching their permanent retainer?

Any ideas what options I have to prevent further relapse? Least costly of course :)

Thank you all for your time and for reading!!!
Before
Gap on top, overcrowding on the bottom
First day of treatment
After
Braces: 11/03-1/04, was 27
Retainer: permanent on bottom, removeable on top + splint for the gap.
Additional corrections: Lateralization of canines with laminates and some whitening