glad they are off ,but what now?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nitya

glad they are off ,but what now?

#1 Post by Nitya »

Hi I just joined. I got my braces off in march 06. I wore them just shy 2yrs. I was given upper and lower Essix retainers which I have to wear at night.
A few months before the braces were removed. Ortho kept asking me at adjustments if I was "done" In one case I told him no, that there was still an obvious gap in my front teeth which he checked by placeing a bit of rubber band between and agreed. Another time one tooth was still twisted.It made me wonder...about his competance.I cant tell well with metal in my mouth if things are aligned right! I rely on him to know!
I got them off finally and oddly I was not given a mirror to check them . Retainer options or reason for the choice of essix was not discussed with me. In fact I didnt know about the differt retainers until I looked online.

Early on in treatment he mentioned that they could fix my black triangles. None of my teeth were shaved and nothing was done to improve them.I wasnt worried at the time but, now with gum recession they are more obvious. It seems too late to fix them now.Ive lost confidence in my ortho and now I keep obsessing and seeing minor flaws in alignment. Just how perfect are your teeth after braces? Is it normal to need tweaking after braces are removed?
I feel left in the dark.

brazilianhottie

i needed twicking

#2 Post by brazilianhottie »

Hi!
I needed twicking...
I actually got tired of the braces and we were goign back and forth, one tooth moves, then realigning it moves another and i just said it's fine the way it is.
Then i had to have laminates to make my canine look like laterals (see pictures in my signature). I wightened too. Now my bottom teeth seem to have shifted a bit.

It's a constant motion!!!
I am suprised you only have to wear it at night. Be on the safe side, wear it as much as you can for the first 6 months!!!
Before
Gap on top, overcrowding on the bottom
First day of treatment
After
Braces: 11/03-1/04, was 27
Retainer: permanent on bottom, removeable on top + splint for the gap.
Additional corrections: Lateralization of canines with laminates and some whitening

Nitya

#3 Post by Nitya »

Thanks :) Thats what I wanted to know and getting questions answered from my ortho is really difficult. I guess to be on the safe side I will wear them during the day when I can becasue I see movement and feel the retainers are tight when I put them in at night. Its a pain cause my mouth cant fully close. Oh well maybe I can talk him into a differnt kind of retainer.
I was surprised too when I only had to wear at night. I had an overbite,twisted teeth and crowding.