How many types of retainers do you have on your mouth?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lil princess

How many types of retainers do you have on your mouth?

#1 Post by lil princess »

I have two types of retainers on my mouth, a bonded retainer on both bottom and top and a hawley retainer on the top. Right now, my teeth on the top left and right sides are hurting, like if it's going to move....are my teeth going to move back?!?!?!

Just wondering, why doesn't my ortho choose essix for me instead of the hawleys? Hawleys are so hard to talk with! I feel like I have more stuff on than I had before with braces! hahaha~

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Some orthos don't like Essix retainers for various reasons. They also might not be the proper type of retainer that you need at this point. Trust your ortho's decision!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Paparazzi

#3 Post by Paparazzi »

Lynn is right right, trust your ortho's decision. I can comiserate with you because I do nothing but gag on my hawley because they are so big and thick(I have both upper, and bottom). The main reason my ortho wanted me to wear hawley's was because I had such extensive work, 6 years of braces, he wanted to everything to stay perfect. I have also heard with essix that it some cases it can actually move your midline a little off, don't know how true that statement is. Got any questions about dealing with your hawley, drop me a pm.

Veruka_Salt

#4 Post by Veruka_Salt »

I was curious as to whether anyone else had a bonded retainer and a Hawley - so glad to see I'm not the only one!

I got my bonded on my lower teeth last week, and the braces are coming off on Wednesday. I'm getting upper and lower Hawleys. Has anyone else had two kinds of retainer on a single arch?

Kristine

#5 Post by Kristine »

I have bonded splints plus Essix retainers, and I hate them! I can't imagine Hawleys being much more difficult to talk with. Maybe it just depends on your face, but I can't close my teeth in the Essix retainers. :?

Evelyn

#6 Post by Evelyn »

In 23 days I'll have two: a bonded on the bottom and a hawley on top.

Can't wait till I can finally comment on retainers!

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

cookie

#7 Post by cookie »

I still have my braces on my bottom teeth, and I have a bonded retainer behind my front two top teeth plus an Essix on top too.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

texasangel

#8 Post by texasangel »

The day I got my braces off I got Essix retainers. They are bulky and you can't relax at a normal bite.
Yesterday I got a Hawley for my upper arch. I have to get a bridge on the bottom, so he didn't want to make the lower hawley and then have to make another one afterwards, so I have to wear the essix on the bottom.

I don't like the hawley right now - but I'm sure it will get better after some time. The only thing I don't like about it is the bulky feeling in the roof of my mouth.
It just feels like the essix retainers do a better job at keeping your teeth in place.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!