Retainers and coffee

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kell

Retainers and coffee

#1 Post by Kell »

My top braces should be off in a few months so retainers have been on my mind. The original estimate was that I would only have to wear my top braces for 6 months. That would be next month and I don't see that happening but it should be sometime this year.

Here's my question: I know that I will have to take my retainer out to eat but I was wondering if it has to come out when I drink coffee. I guess if I have an essix retainer than I will definitely want to take it out so that it doesn't get stained. My question is really about a hawley retainer. Does it have to come out when I drink coffee?
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

cookie

#2 Post by cookie »

Not sure about the Hawley, but I drink black coffee every day with my Essix in and it doesn't stain, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

downhillsnowskier

#3 Post by downhillsnowskier »

Hot liquids could damage them or cause them to warp. I take mine out for hot coffee.

cookie

#4 Post by cookie »

downhillsnowskier wrote:Hot liquids could damage them or cause them to warp. I take mine out for hot coffee.
See, my ortho told me I'd be fine drinking tea and coffee. He also told me to keep it in when I'm eating. The only thing he told me NOT to do was to let freshly boiled water come into contact with it. Coffee that is cool enough to drink isn't hot enough to warp the plastic.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

downhillsnowskier

#5 Post by downhillsnowskier »

I disagree with you, but it would definately depend on the plastic used to make the retainer. When I did drink coffee or cocoa with it in, I could feel the retainer expand a little. We're not talking major movement, but enough so I can feel it. So I asked and the ortho said not to do it anymore since the plastic might warp over time. I know the product they gave me will expand and contract a little, if the one they gave you won't, thats great. The best advice anyone gives out here is "ask your ortho" because they know the product they are giving you(hopefully).

naomi

#6 Post by naomi »

When I went to the orthodontist today I asked if it was ok to drink coffee while I wear my retainer. I was told that it's fine, as long as whatever I'm drinking isn't boiling hot (in which case it would be too hot to drink anyways).
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

Kell

#7 Post by Kell »

:lol: Thanks for the opinions. Sounds like it might be okay but I should ask.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

nico07

#8 Post by nico07 »

I've had my retainer for over a year now and coffee seems to have no effect on it, but Diet Coke does.

I'm thinking of asking my ortho to have a new retainer made. I wonder if he'd be up for that?