Worried about debracing and breaking teeth...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

biteowl

#16 Post by biteowl »

My back top molars have fillings in them (from 1988 when I was just 10 years old!!) and I was worried, too, about the bands coming off those teeth since the fillings were so old, but they're still tip top shape after those things were wrenched off today. They mostly kind of pop the bands off, but if they're on there really tight (like mine were, they almost seemed stuck!) they kind of pull them on one side and then the other over and over until it finally comes off. It wasn't on my top ten list of happy soothing experiences, but it certainly wasn't the worst thing in the world. More like fingernails being scratched on a blackboard than real pain, and it was over pretty quickly.

Chris

#17 Post by Chris »

Personally, I don't understand why they just can "cut" the bands and then peel them off. Sure would make it more comfortable.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#18 Post by Chris »

The reason I brought it up was because I asked another ortho his opinion about removing bands and he says that he cuts them when its too painful for the patient. Said it was easy to do. He didn't say anything about damaging the tooth underneath. Guess you have to be careful just like when they remove crowns (they cut those suckers off too). :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#19 Post by Chris »

Heck, with skilled hands, even if your tooth is utterly miserable, it is but a split second of discomfort (I know!)
I guess my ortho was so scared of hurting me that he "took it easy" and it caused more pain! Either way, the band is still with me and the tooth still hurts to put pressure on it.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

ThisIsMary

#20 Post by ThisIsMary »

I had all 4 of my molar bands taken off at my last appointment and I had no idea the asst. was even taking them off. The removal didn't hurt or anything. As far as the fillings go, I have one filling on a molar with a molar band and everything was fine. The only thing I felt when the molar bands were taken out was a little pain on one molar but that's only because it slightly pushed into my gum which was still sore form a minor infection that was clearing up.
[/url]

Ceramics on top
Metals on bottom
18 - 24 month duration
Removed September 27, 2006
Hawley top and bottom

totheend

#21 Post by totheend »

I had fillings and got debanded. don't worry!! mind were really hard to get off and it sounded like she broke my teeth when snapping them off, but yoru teeth are alot stronger than you know and I'm sure you'll be fine!!

just let ur ortho know about ur concern, and I'm sure he/she will be more gentle with you.

katy

#22 Post by katy »

Thank you everyone for your replies... I go back to the ortho on Monday 9th October and hopefully (fingers crossed) I will find out my debanding date. The gap is nearly closed... maybe half a millimetre to go... I've got to tell you, the final stages are painfully slow...

Thanks again..

Katy

astereje

#23 Post by astereje »

at my last appointment, i got my molar bands off... like ThisIsMary, i didnt even know the assistant was taking them off until i asked him what in the world he was doing. 3 of the 4 bands were on my teeth that had crowns, and they did not hurt at all, it was just scary (because i thought he was going to break my teeth). it didn't hurt but he sure did a lot of pulling at them. but it was fine afterwards. :)