Does anyone here feel that... :(

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

19Braceface

#16 Post by 19Braceface »

LOL i agree she does have pretty lips! :shock: but no my braces are still on....i'm guessing yours are too? oh by the way check out Miriam Mcdonald....she is an actress from degrassi, she had braces when the show started, her face was scrawny and ackward...she got her braces off...check out some flip pics of her last 4 years if you can't find it, i'll link it for you...it gives me hope :lol:

orangetammy

#17 Post by orangetammy »

aww thanks!! but honestly i think my lips are too asymmetrical and thick.. without much definition..

anyways 19braceface, I googled that girl and I saw some pics.. but I'm not sure which are the post-braces or the before-braces pictures. could you please give me some links please? ^__^

by the way, my orthodontist told me that i might have my braces off on the next adjustment!!! i'm feeling kinda complicated now.. in one way i really really want to have my naked teeth back, but in an other way.. i'm kind of worried that maybe it's not perfect yet.. kinda torn in between

embraced3

#18 Post by embraced3 »

hey orangetammy, i got debraced recently and felt a little nervous about what the end result would look like too...because i was a tongue thruster and wanted my protruding teeth to get pushed back and set more upright, but with the brackets on i couldn't tell if my teeth were still sticking out some or if it was just the braces themselves adding bulk. i trusted my ortho though, and once i got them off i realized it was really just that the bulkiness from the brackets made my teeth look more protrusive than they actually were. you'd be surprised how different you look with them off! i can't speak for everyone on the board, but i was definitely much happier with the way my teeth looked after the braces than the hour before i got them off. things look much different!

but if there is anything that is troubling you about your treatment you should definitely bring it up to your ortho, and maybe he/she can ease your mind about it. good luck!

BraceFacePrincess

#19 Post by BraceFacePrincess »

Yeah, I'm trying to adjust to the way I look with braces. I mean with the overbite and the gap on top of the braces I am even more self conscious of the way I look. :( Hopefully I will get used to them and I'll start to see a change soon. :)

19Braceface

#20 Post by 19Braceface »

WOW! your getting them off very soon!!! :shock: i'm so happy for you....i really wanna hear your reaction towards them, when they are off....and to be honest when i look at your avatar your teeth look great! so i'm sure they will look nice...ok so i got the link....the only bad thing is it only goes up to season 3, *she had braces during seasons 1 and 2* :-( but here you go....click on the flip books on the right side

http://www.the-n.com/ntv/shows/cast.php ... cast_id=23

here is a pic of her not showing her teeth....with braces...
http://news.degrassi.ca/aimg/64.jpg

orangetammy

#21 Post by orangetammy »

19Braceface wrote:WOW! your getting them off very soon!!! :shock: i'm so happy for you....i really wanna hear your reaction towards them, when they are off....and to be honest when i look at your avatar your teeth look great! so i'm sure they will look nice...ok so i got the link....the only bad thing is it only goes up to season 3, *she had braces during seasons 1 and 2* :-( but here you go....click on the flip books on the right side

http://www.the-n.com/ntv/shows/cast.php ... cast_id=23

here is a pic of her not showing her teeth....with braces...
http://news.degrassi.ca/aimg/64.jpg
wow that's a huge change! I can't really pin point which part of her face is changed but she just looks muchmuch much better now.! but I'm not sure if it's all the effect of the braces though.. thanks anyway! I hope we can look better after the treatment!

It's strange that my orthodontist is always like.. ok hope it can be all done soon but he never gives a fixed date.. then I ask him about when? and he said like.. hopefully next adjustment? and you know that would be april 3rd! I'm so excited if that's really gna happen, but nervous at the same time too....

orangetammy

#22 Post by orangetammy »

embraced3 wrote:hey orangetammy, i got debraced recently and felt a little nervous about what the end result would look like too...because i was a tongue thruster and wanted my protruding teeth to get pushed back and set more upright, but with the brackets on i couldn't tell if my teeth were still sticking out some or if it was just the braces themselves adding bulk. i trusted my ortho though, and once i got them off i realized it was really just that the bulkiness from the brackets made my teeth look more protrusive than they actually were. you'd be surprised how different you look with them off! i can't speak for everyone on the board, but i was definitely much happier with the way my teeth looked after the braces than the hour before i got them off. things look much different!

but if there is anything that is troubling you about your treatment you should definitely bring it up to your ortho, and maybe he/she can ease your mind about it. good luck!
I feel really happy for you!! :D :D Was your teeth really bad before the treatment or what? you know at times I feel like I regret my decision of having braces because my teeth weren't bad at alll initially... just to correct 1 upper canine for sticking up on each side.. but as the treatment goes on.. i feel like i might end up looking worse than before.. because I heard sometimes the braces move your bite and kinda change the lower part of your face(some said orthodontists tend to make you face appear "flatter" due to aesthetic reason..?).. and that would affect the coordination of your entire facial features.. and i'm not sure if i'll be getting satisfying results at the end..

one question i have for you though, did you have ceramic or metal braces?

embraced3

#23 Post by embraced3 »

my teeth weren't initially that bad either, and in fact, they were very straight. i had (but hopefully no longer have!) a tongue thrusting issue, where my tongue would push out on my teeth whenever i swallowed, so it was causing my teeth to protrude instead of standing more vertical. in some cases a tongue thrust will cause an open bite, but luckily for me that hadn't happened yet. i chose to go into braces mainly because i wanted to make my teeth more vertical, and because i wanted to start trying to correct this tongue thrusting habit so that it wouldn't make my case worse in the long run...also because my parents were willing to pay for them! if you want to look at some before and after pictures, i have them here:

viewtopic.php?t=17398

so as you can see, my befores don't look that bad at all, but there is that protrusion i mentioned. a lot of my friends didn't know why i wanted to get them (except for my one friend who also has a tongue thrusting problem, and who actually does have an open bite). i also had to get 4 extractions in order for my teeth to come back enough. however, my ortho couldn't push them back too much because that would, as you said, affect my profile too much. he was able to bring them back just enough though.

i can definitely see a difference in my profile. the lower part of my face does seem "flatter" than it used to, and my lips don't look as full as they used to because before my protruding teeth were supporting my lips, but now there isn't as much support since my teeth don't protrude enough to support them. (sidenote: i don't think you'll have a problem in the full lip department, since your lips are very nice, as others have mentioned! :D ) i don't think it changes my face that much though...i seem to only notice it more in photos but not when i actually look in the mirror. but my teeth definitely look better than they used to. overall, i am very happy with my decision even though it did change my face structure a little. i am pretty sure i am the only one that notices it though (because my boyfriend seems to think it is all in my head :lol:).
braced 7/26/05 with ceramic uppers metal lowers; debraced 2/14/07!