Are all retainers Horrible?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SnowSara

#16 Post by SnowSara »

MissDiana, I'm the same way - always have a beverage beside me of tea, coffee, or water. I only drink water with the essix in. When I'm sipping my tea or coffee I just take it out for awhile and then swish some water and put it back in when I'm finished, just as if I were eating a meal.

I did drink an iced latte with my essix in the other day and did not like how the liquid obviously got caught in there against my teeth. Gross, won't do that again.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

MissDiana

#17 Post by MissDiana »

Oh, for some reason it didn't even occur to me that liquid could get caught inside! EW!

I think, based on what both of you are saying, I'm going to just try to stick it out with the Hawley as much as possible.
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

MsTiaLia

#18 Post by MsTiaLia »

I got my braces removed this morning at 9:40 and my speech is still very very challenged :( I should've known that this was going to be a problem when my ortho told me to sing in the car & read my favorite magazines aloud to get some practice.

SnowSara

#19 Post by SnowSara »

Haha, it works though! For the first couple of days I talked to myself in the car on the way to work to "warm up" so I would be ready to talk to my coworkers.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

idolfan4

#20 Post by idolfan4 »

Not all retainers are horrible. I have an essix retainer and it works good for me. Just pick a retainer that works best for you.

jennielee81

#21 Post by jennielee81 »

Just pick a retainer that works best for you.
That's a nice idea, but most orthodontists don't let patients choose their retainer.

Another problem with this idea is that most people on here have not had a retainer before and so don't know what would work best for the.

That's great if you've got the option of choosing and that you know what will work best for you, but we can't assume that everone can do this or has the option of choice.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

TsuKata

#22 Post by TsuKata »

For those with Hawleys, do you have to remove those to drink soda, too?

I'm in a similar position as the OP and some others on here in that I can pick what type of retainer I want. I had been leaning toward a Hawley, but now that I'm reading the threads on here, I was thinking of asking for both a Hawley and an Essix. But...if I have to take the Essix out whenever I drink a non-water beverage, I might as well not be wearing it. I drink constantly...I always have a soda or tea or something by my side at work. I also drink hot drinks in the afternoons (like hot water with lime and a dribble of honey...very tasty). Unless Hawleys have the same limitation for drinking, I think I'll be going back to my Hawley plan! :)
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL