Tooth Positioner

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lionfish

#16 Post by lionfish »

Banana, you should find within a day or two that the positioner fits snugly over your teeth and there should be no pain after then.

Banana1214

#17 Post by Banana1214 »

I've had the positioner a few days and it does not hurt anymore. It's just uncomfortable because it's hard to close my lips over it and I drool. :) It also rubs my gums in some spots, which my ortho told me about beforehand and he said to come it to get it shaved down or something, but I think I'm going to give it another week and see how it goes. I will say that the thing is working and my bite already looks better!

lionfish

#18 Post by lionfish »

Glad that it's working for you. I remember drooling a fair bit at first and, yes, it's hard to close your lips over the positioner. But like everything with braces, it is something you can get used to.

cybersiren

#19 Post by cybersiren »

OH my GAWD I hate, hate, HATE, this positioner! It hurts really bad and there are a couple spots where it really puts a lot of pressure on my gums. Like, they turn white when I bite into it. Should I be worried about this? I don't wanna cause any damage to my gums. There is also one tooth that bleeds when I bite down too. I think I'm gonna call my ortho on Monday just to be sure.

jennielee81

#20 Post by jennielee81 »

Ya, you need to call the ortho about this. Sounds AWFUL!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

cybersiren

#21 Post by cybersiren »

Oh yeah, I'm definately calling him Monday. I can actually feel the rough spots with my finger. Ouch. Other than that I think if the rough spots were gone it would actually be bearable. I hate to wish my summer away, but hopefully these next 8 weeks will go smoothly so I can be done and just get my retainers already!

pokergirl

#22 Post by pokergirl »

I just got my braces off and received my positioner. OMG, it hurts! But my ortho told me if it's hurting, it's working. I'm supposed to wear it all the time for the next 3 days and then just to sleep in after that. What do you do about talking? Take it out or just try to talk with it in?

simplywired

#23 Post by simplywired »

I just wrote Poker Girl before I saw this thread. I have never heard of a positioner until now and this is just too much.

Would a better solution be to just wear the braces/elastics longer? I'm totally bummed out now and if I hear the word positioner next time I'm in the chair - I'm going to come unglued!

I was all set to get these damn braces off by July 1st and now something new. It's been that kind of day.

I've noticed a couple places where the incisors
are not perfectly lined up and a small gap between my molars - hopefully, this can be corrected through retainers but don't know.

Sorry you're miserable - hope it gets better soon.. What we go through - oh me.

cybersiren

#24 Post by cybersiren »

I finally got this thing adjusted, but I'm not completely happy with how it fels. Hopefully it's just a little tightness form lack of wear now. I'm gonna give it a few days and see if it gets better.

Paparazzi

#25 Post by Paparazzi »

The positioner is a royal pain. I was in it 24 hours a day for 2 months back in the summer of 2006. Anyone needs any advice just drop me a line.

lionfish

#26 Post by lionfish »

The positioner is a royal pain. I was in it 24 hours a day for 2 months back in the summer of 2006. Anyone needs any advice just drop me a line.
Two months FT? That takes the cake. Two days FT was enough for me and that was over a weekend thankfully.

Cybersiren, sorry to hear you're having a rough time, hope it gets better.

Paparazzi

#27 Post by Paparazzi »

lionfish wrote:
Two months FT? That takes the cake. Two days FT was enough for me and that was over a weekend thankfully.

Cybersiren, sorry to hear you're having a rough time, hope it gets better.
Trust me man, that thing was the least of my troubles. I had a long rough road in the orthodontic world. You get used to the tooth positioner eventually.