Let's be honest

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hello Kitty

#31 Post by Hello Kitty »

I have a Hawley for the top and a bonded retainer for the bottom. At first I hated the Hawley-(I couldn't speak properly and I felt like I was drooling). So I just didn't wear it at all for the first week and a half or so. I didn't get any teeth removed for my braces-so I think they may be more prone to go into their original positions. I noticed after a week and a half my front teeth were going into their "pushed back" positions again, and that freaked me out and I started to wear it again. It's very important especially once the braces are removed to wear the retainers all the time.
After about 6 months, I'll only wear it at night when I go to bed. But I think I'll be wearing it to bed the rest of my life. I've heard that your teeth still move around years after the braces.
Braced~ 06/30/04
Removed~05/23/06

Zeph

#32 Post by Zeph »

Your supervisor sounds like a big jerk. Lucky escape, eh!

And I can't really contribute to the retainer discussion (not at that stage yet) but the quicker you get used to it, the better. And that can only happen if you wear it as much as possible.

Easier said than done though, unfortunately!

Good luck!