Did you have cavities as a result of the braces?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spragers

#31 Post by spragers »

Before braces: 25 years without cavities.

Braced for roughly 2.5 years.

Now in retainers (since yesterday afternoon): still no cavities.

Just keep up your oral hygiene habits, the cement had flouride in it to prevent cavities between your teeth and the brackets/bands.

Baskindoe

decalcified

#32 Post by Baskindoe »

Well I took reasonably good care of my teeth when I had my braces on, I just got them off 4/4/06>But, on my dentist appointment last week I asked the hygentist to remove the stuff on my back molars where my bands were that the assisatant at my orthodontist said they would remove, she told me i The tooth was decalcifieda and that a cavity was trying to form there. So now for 6 months I have to use flouride gell to help prevent the cavity and me tooth back to normal. IBTW if this tooth forms a cavity it would be my first ever in the nearly 14 years of my life.

Anna

#33 Post by Anna »

I just got my braces removed a month and a half ago. I had it for 2 years. I took extra good care of it. Cleaning every 3 months instead of 6, brush, floss & wax. Just yesterday, my dentist found a cavity which was formed under my molar band (lower last molar). it was in a gap where food could have been squeezed into the gum. Its so deep that it might be in the root. I have to make a decision if I want to get periodontic surgery, a root canal or have it extracted. :cry: So upset. Could be since I knew this had a big gap, I kept brushing with those little brushes for the gaps (interdentals i think) and that must have pushed some food in deeper. So, my advice is to brush first with a normal toothbrush, then floss, then waterpick. Good luck.
upper row (Metal) installed March 23
lower row (Damon3) to be installed April 22
2-year metal mouth sentence

Anna

#34 Post by Anna »

Yes, it was under the molar band, at the gumline in between the last & second to the last molar. My dentist feels partly to blame since she always did the cleaning and that she didnt notice that spot. I wish she'd shoulder the bill for the treatment for the cavity. Thanks for your reply, still crossing my fingers.
upper row (Metal) installed March 23
lower row (Damon3) to be installed April 22
2-year metal mouth sentence

platinum

#35 Post by platinum »

I had teeth cleaning today after I got my braces removed yesterday.

I had two cavities between premolars that are adjacent to each other, one is a new one and another is an old filling that had cracked.

stephcsun

Re: Did you have cavities as a result of the braces?

#36 Post by stephcsun »

That's a good question..I am 1 month in and I am afraid of this happening..I also am afraid food or liquid can get into my trapped in the molar brackets. When I go for a cleaning I would hope would be able to notice if I was getting a cavity there.

EWUgal15

#37 Post by EWUgal15 »

As long as you clean your teeth as your orthodontist instructed, you should be fine. I had 5 cavities filled before getting braces. 3 months into braces, I had a cleaning where my dentist told me that I was doing an excellent job with hygiene and that the only spots of concern were pre-existing to my braces and currently underneath molar bands so they were being more or less protected. It's definitely a process, but brushing and flossing before bed every night and brushing after meals throughout the day really does work.

LithpingLitha

#38 Post by LithpingLitha »

Having braces didn't cause me to have cavities. I had work done before the braces went on and then it was several years before I got another cavity. I was also obsessive about my hygiene while I was in treatment. :D
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story

yumitan89

#39 Post by yumitan89 »

Is air floss useful in cleaning between the teeth?