6 months after...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

glowstix

6 months after...

#1 Post by glowstix »

i haven't been to this forum in a while. hope everyone is doing ok. i had my braces off about 6 months ago and i'm wearing retainers now, of course. i have both hawleys and essix and i abandoned the hawleys and am now wearing the essix exclusively. my only concern is the lifespan of the essix. i really think they are superior.

i have to say that i really hate retainers!! they are a pain. you have to take them out to eat, clean them, put them back in, take them out, put them back in, take them out, put them back in, take them out, put them back in and finally take them out again..only to put them back in. this makes eating out a real pain!!

i work now, unfortunately, in a really messy environment that involves a lot of oil and toxic substances so my hands have to really clean. going on lunch break is really an adventure. before, i would have the braces in and forget about them. i could eat as i wished. now, i can't. now i have to take the stupid retainers out and keep the carrying case with me whenever i expect to be eating. sometimes i wish i had the braces again.. :roll: when i'm at someone's place and they say, "hey, taste this!!", i have to say "no" as i have the retainers in. before with the braces i could afford to just forget about it.

sometimes i wonder why i even did this. i mean, i am happier and less insecure about my teeth, but what good is the straight teeth if i can't enjoy having a naked mouth?? i still hide my teeth when i wear the retainers. i still wear the hawleys on the bottom but after lunch i take them out for the remainder of the work day so i can "open up" a bit more while talking.

i've been instructed to wear the retainers for 4 months 24/7 and at nights after that. i still feel a bit tight when i leave them out for as much as 2 hours so i've decided to actually go against instructions and wear them as much as i can possibly for another year.

how long are you guys supposed to wear your retainers?? do you get as tired and frustrated with the whole thing as me?? i'm happy with my smile but at what cost??

missingu

Re: 6 months after...

#2 Post by missingu »

glowstix wrote:
i've been instructed to wear the retainers for 4 months 24/7 and at nights after that. i still feel a bit tight when i leave them out for as much as 2 hours so i've decided to actually go against instructions and wear them as much as i can possibly for another year.
Maybe you could talk to the ortho about permanent retainers on both upper and lower to give you some "piece of mind" that even if you didn't have the Essex in, you still had retention.

I imagine you have a reason for going against the ortho's instructions, but maybe sharing the concern with the ortho (rather than just discussing retainers per se) would provide you the input necessaray to feel comfortable wearing the retainers only at night, allowing you to "live your life" during the day.

glowstix

Re: 6 months after...

#3 Post by glowstix »

missingu wrote:
glowstix wrote:
Maybe you could talk to the ortho about permanent retainers on both upper and lower to give you some "piece of mind" that even if you didn't have the Essex in, you still had retention.

I imagine you have a reason for going against the ortho's instructions, but maybe sharing the concern with the ortho (rather than just discussing retainers per se) would provide you the input necessaray to feel comfortable wearing the retainers only at night, allowing you to "live your life" during the day.
well, i can't talk or go see my ortho anymore since i moved soon after i got the braces off. the thing about permanent retainers is that it boils down to wearing appliances again. i don't really hate the retainers, its just a pain to keep taking them out to eat.

lesliew

#4 Post by lesliew »

I'm sorry you're feeling this way! I've been out of braces since December. Not to make light of your situation, but personally, I'd rather deal with a retainer than go through all the hassle of picking food out of my braces after every meal and rushing to the bathroom to brush. And, wearing the retainer in public keeps me from noshing on foods that I shouldn't be eating anyway! My ortho told me to wear my retainer 24/7 for 6 months, but like you, when I take it out for more than a couple of hours my retainer feels tight when I put it in. I'm planning on wearing it full time for a year too.