Pain after braces?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brooke

Pain after braces?

#1 Post by Brooke »

I just got my braces off yesterday and today my teeth are sore today, is that normal? I guess I just always thought the soreness would go away with the braces. Maybe I was naive :cry:
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hello, Brooke :D When I got my braces off, my ortho instructed me to make sure and wear my retainers, ESPECIALLY within the first 6 weeks after removal, because my teeth would try to move back immediately....he said that when my teeth 'protested', there would be soreness, sort of like after a tightening. (the pain went away fairly quickly, within a few weeks) Good luck, and feel better :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Brooke

#3 Post by Brooke »

Well the thing is, I have to wait a week for my retainer to come. That's what makes me nervous. I have read that a lot of people had to wait that long but to me it just seems like a long time. I am worried that my teeth will move. But I am just hoping that if they do, those retainers will put them back to where they were right when I got the braces off :roll:
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

erica

#4 Post by erica »

johnnys_angel, just to clarify, the pain that you experienced during the first few weeks was WITH constant retainer wear (as opposed to the result of leaving your retainers out for periods of time)?

My debanding was yesterday and I got my upper and lower retainers (Essix) several hours afterwards. I've had a lot of discomfort since then. As you described, it feels like I've just had an adjustment. I just want to make sure the pain isn't because the retainers are somehow trying to move my teeth - I'm paranoid that I moved or something while the retainer molds were being taken and made it so my retainers aren't quite right! I went into my ortho's office for a cleaning this morning, and they told me I shouldn't really have any pain aside from the fact that the fit of my retainer might feel "tight." But what I'm feeling is very different and definitely feels like tooth movement...

So if your pain was with constant retainer wear, I'll feel much better! :)
Braced 10/13/04
Debanded on 07/11/06!!! :)
Currently in upper and lower Essix retainers 24/7.

adollface

#5 Post by adollface »

I know what you guys are talking about. I got my braces off yesterday and my teeth today feel like I just had an adjustment. Might partly be because I was grinding them in my sleep last night but I don't think that's all of it. I get my retainers tomorrow so we'll see how that feels. Hoping the pain isn't going to last long since we leave for vacation on Friday. I want to be able to enjoy eating again!!

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12/16/04
off 7/11/06

RogerP

#6 Post by RogerP »

I had the same experence when I got my braces off. My teeth hurt for about 2 weeks. Felt just like one of my adjustments. This wasn't something I exspected.

erica

#7 Post by erica »

Just wanted to post a quick update now that I've had my retainers for almost two weeks. The adjustment-like pain resolved within a few days. So now I can focus on other paranoias, like "is it just me, or is that tooth looking a little crooked?" :)
Braced 10/13/04
Debanded on 07/11/06!!! :)
Currently in upper and lower Essix retainers 24/7.

frozenxfjords

#8 Post by frozenxfjords »

How long does it usually take to get retainers after the braces are removed?

I got my upper braces off on Friday and I didn't even get molds taken to make the retainers yet. My ortho said I'm gonna get those taken this Friday. I'm afraid my teeth are gonna move..and I think some of them already started moving. =\
Alison