Essix Retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ASUDEVIL23

Essix Retainers

#1 Post by ASUDEVIL23 »

I've seen the debate between the Hawley and Essix retainers, and my particular office offers the Essix, which I am fine with. I am getting my braces off sometime in the next four months and I have a couple of questions that I hope Essix users can answer as I will have to wear my Essix retainer for 3 months 24/7 and then at night probably for the rest of my life.

1) How comfortable is it? Perhaps not relative to braces, but in general.
2) Is it easy to speak with? I've heard of speech difficulties with the Hawley retainer.
3) How fragile is the Essix retainer? Fortunately I do not grind or clench my teeth that often, but I'd like to know how long it could possibly last as I will be moving out of state next year.
4) Are there any other related hassles with the retainer that I haven't listed? Anything you'd like to share?

Thanks for all of your help! I've read this board and have received great info thus far.

M

ASUDEVIL23

Anyone?

#2 Post by ASUDEVIL23 »

Anyone?

flotsam

#3 Post by flotsam »

Hi there,

I find that I'm pretty biased on this subject, but here's my two cents:

1) How comfortable is it? Feels like I'm wearing a sports mouthguard, only ridgid and not as comfortable.

2) Is it easy to speak with? I have a Hawley on the bottom and when I just wear that, I hear no speech differences at all. The Essix, on the other hand, makes me extremely lispy -- much more so than braces ever did.

3) How fragile is the Essix retainer? Elsewhere on this board I've read that they last for six months to a year. I'm not a big tooth-grinder either, but man, even if I was, this thing seems pretty indestructible.

4) Are there any other related hassles with the retainer that I haven't listed? I personally don't like the look of them. I thought it would be as relatively invisible as Invisalign, but it isn't. Someone else on this board complained about, well, spit bubbles accumulating underneath the Essix, and I second that completely. It just feels obstructive and weird, and I can't forget that I have it on. My bottom Hawley, on the other hand, I can pretty much ignore.

All that said, this is my own personal experience; your mileage may differ. I am, though, going back in to my ortho on Tuesday, and may come out with an upper Hawley for my troubles.

Hope that helps!

ASUDEVIL23

Cool

#4 Post by ASUDEVIL23 »

Excellent information. In terms of the lisp thing I've actually heard that it may be more of a problem with Hawley, but that appears to be something everyone deals with in adjusting to life after braces. Thanks!