Tooth pain all of a sudden

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jim G.

Tooth pain all of a sudden

#1 Post by Jim G. »

I've been in retainers for nearly a month and a half. My teeth haven't shifted at all yet, as expected. Recently(the past few days), I've been getting HUGE pains when putting on my retainers or when I chew with my back teeth on either side of my mouth. My wisdom teeth haven't been removed yet, so I'm thinking them growing in has something to do with the pain, maybe the rest of my teeth are trying to shift? The pain feels like the whole mouth does after an adjustment, but 3 times worse. It's really painful. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be or what I should do to help ease the pain?
Braced: Sept. 27, 2004
Debanding: May 5, 2006

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Get your wisdom teeth removed ;) If your wisdom teeth are impacted, then they are trying hard to grow in but can't because the other teeth/other things are in the way.....if you don't get your wisdom teeth removed then they could move all of your other teeth out of place, with or without retainers. Of course this doesn't always happen to people, but if they are impacted it's a safe bet they will make your mouth wonky again, ruining your brace work. I'm sorry you are in pain-to ease the pain you could ice your jaw, use ora-base, or maybe heat compress? Good luck!!!!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05: