How long before you got your retainer?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

egoh510

How long before you got your retainer?

#1 Post by egoh510 »

I tried asking this in the other forum -- but I found that this is where I should post this question :)
I'm getting deband in one month -- and unlike a lot of other ppl who's ortho took the impression before debanding and getting their retainer the day they remove the braces. My ortho did not do that -- i was told that my braces are coming off in sept and that was it.
My question is how long is the avg. wait to get the retainers (i believe i'm getting the essix)?? I am worried because I know my teeth moved fairly fast -- in the beginning of my treatment, i was told that my treatment time would be about 2.5 years -- well, i'm done and it has only been 20 months --so obviously my teeth moved faster than predicted.... Any insights would be appreciated :) TIA
Ceramics Brackets
Braces On: 11/22/04
Braces Off: 09/25/06 :)

fins

#2 Post by fins »

I think my office has it done in about a week...I did hear a patient say her teeth hurt while she was waiting for the retainer, and I think the assistant said they shouldn't hurt so maybe her teeth were moving.

It's a good question, I'm interested in how other offices do this also.

Caroline

#3 Post by Caroline »

I had impressions done one month prior to removal, so I can't help you there. From reading on the boards here, some have theirs made on their removal date, or they wait anywhere from a couple of days to a week.
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

nearlyoffxox

#4 Post by nearlyoffxox »

I get impressions done the day i get the bands off, then the retainer is ready two days later, theyve already made my appointments for it all, its strange he hasnt mentioned it!

Dottie

#5 Post by Dottie »

I got my braces off today! They did impressions today for the Essix retainers and I got them before I left! I requested Hawley retainers instead of Essix....the dental assist asked me why so I explained some concerns I read on this site so they gave me top and bottom Hawley's at no addtional charge (they will be ready in a couple of weeks). I also got top and bottom bonded retainers today. Since I will have all three types of retainers I will let you guys know which one I like best!
~~ Dottie ~~

A laugh is a smile that bursts!
Damon 3's ~ November 17th 2004