Question For Those Of You With Bonded Retainers!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha08

Question For Those Of You With Bonded Retainers!!

#1 Post by Samantha08 »

So at my next appointment Im getting fitted for my bonded retainer on the bottom. How soon after this did you get your braces off? Im supposed to wear them for 15-18 months, and the 15 month mark is in November. Plus I skipped the wire where most people have elastics, so I dont have to have those. That should cut off some time. I was jsut curious as to the time between getting fitted for the bonded retainer to debanding! Thanks! :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

Kevin

#2 Post by Kevin »

Normally you'll get your braces off soon after the retainer is bonded, but it wasn't that way for me. I had my bottom retainer bonded a good 7-8 months before any of my braces came off. That was because it was so hard to get my bottom front teeth straight my ortho wanted to put it in to help keep them where they should be. Didn't work in the end, but that's a different story.

mtbrncofn

#3 Post by mtbrncofn »

Mine went on literally minutes before I was debanded.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

johnnys_angel

#4 Post by johnnys_angel »

My story is the same as mtbrncofn's, my ortho bonded my retainers on before removing my braces. A few weeks prior to that date was when I got impressions for the retainers.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

nykol77

#5 Post by nykol77 »

Hi there!

I just got fitted for bonded retainers (top and bottom) on Tuesday. My braces are coming off on the 19th.
nick
braced Dec 7th 2004

Samantha08

#6 Post by Samantha08 »

Yay!! Im excited now lol!!! Thanks everyone!
nykol77 wrote:Hi there!

I just got fitted for bonded retainers (top and bottom) on Tuesday. My braces are coming off on the 19th.
I go in on the 19th to get fitted for my bonded retainer. I dont know if that means they'll be putting it on or if I just make molds or what.. But Im excited anyway! Thanks for replying!
Estimated Time: 15-18 months