I wasn't expecting this

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KathleenH

I wasn't expecting this

#1 Post by KathleenH »

I have been braces free for one week. I have bonded retainers on top and bottom, and will be getting my removable retainers in three weeks. The wait is to allow for settling of the teeth I'm told. Last night, I could not get to sleep at all, because the pain in my left jaw from teeth settling was so bad. Anyone else experience this?
Kathleen

Surgery survivor

biteowl

#2 Post by biteowl »

I saw the dentist about a month ago for cleaning, and told him my braces were coming off soon, and he mentioned that I would probably feel the urge to grind my teeth and clench a bit because of the molars shifting. He said most retainers don't hold them all in place, and that a permanent retainer on either top, bottom, or both, lets the molars shift around (since they still have those spaces between where the bands on them used to be). He told me that people can have headaches from the movement and a dull jaw ache, but that it doesn't last too terribly long, but to fight the urge to grind or clench. The only bummer is that a lot of people do it in their sleep, which is out of your control.