Retainers Resturants

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rebraced

Retainers Resturants

#1 Post by Rebraced »

What does everyone do when eating out at a resturant? I just got my reatiners a week ago and it's a pain to have to remove my retainers in public so I go to the bathroom to take them out. It was much easier with braces. Does anyone have any suggestons?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

garrettnb

#2 Post by garrettnb »

do it before you get into the restaurant, like in the car or whatever. OR just don't worry about what othe people think.

--Garrett
Quiero Pasta?

nearlyoffxox

#3 Post by nearlyoffxox »

yes i agree id definitely take it out before :twisted: , much easier!

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

When I was wearing retainers 24/7, I would either pop them out in the car beforehand, or after ordering go to the ladies room and do it then. The advantage of the ladies room is that you can rinse your retainer under some water before you put it in your retainer case.

I remember thinking the same thing: at least you didn't have to take the braces off before eating, LOL!

I was thinking it would be neat if there was a retainer wipe of some sort for those times when you don't have running water at your disposal. No product like that exists. But I suppose it would be best for Hawleys and wouldn't work as well for clear Essix type. Personally I never wanted to put the retainer back in my mouth without cleaning it, at least with water. It seemed icky otherwise.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hmmm - I wouldn't do it at the table unless you are at McDonald's or something. It might be considered a little rude. Kind of like blowing your nose at the table. I mean what if a big piece of saliva is hanging off of it when you pull it out? Then what? Ewwww
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Hmmm - I wouldn't do it at the table unless you are at McDonald's or something. It might be considered a little rude. Kind of like blowing your nose at the table. I mean what if a big piece of saliva is hanging off of it when you pull it out? Then what? Ewwww

When you said that I conjured up in my mind my friend at 10 years old who had retainers and did just that every time she wanted to chew bubble gum!

Gee, I can't wait to get my retainers! So much fun!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

butterfly

#7 Post by butterfly »

ÃŽ had this problem with the expander, and later on, with the elastics. At first I always went to the bathroom, but after a while I learned how to discretely pop them out behind my hand so I did it right at the table, turning my head to the side or down a bit, and that's it. I thought what the heck I won't let it get into my way and enjoy life.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

The problem I found with taking out the elastics in public is that inevitably one will get stuck at the back of my mouth on a hook and I'll be "digging in" to get it out. I wonder if someone may be thinking I'm bulimic. :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007