Anyone ever have a loose Hawley right after an adjustment?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

biteowl

Anyone ever have a loose Hawley right after an adjustment?

#1 Post by biteowl »

Just had an adjustment and it has left my upper hawley kind of loose on the right side. The metal part in the back that usually snaps around your molar is lower and I bite on the metal band. My question is really just if anyone else has had this situation and will it still hold my teeth in place if it's not perfectly flush with the roof of my mouth (which it was before the adjustment). I feel uncomfortable going in so soon after an appointment, so I thought I would ask first to see if perhaps this was not uncommon or if anyone had a similar experience and how it worked out. All I care is that it holds the teeth in place! :thumbsup:

leah

retainers

#2 Post by leah »

Yes, I have had this problem since I first got my retainer. Where that piece of metal that loops around your molar is, if you are able to bite on it, it will eventually bend up embewtween your molars and cause a small space to open, that not good.. I'd call your ortho pronto.. and have this fixed....
best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006