Hawley and Essix combined-???!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maria

Hawley and Essix combined-???!!

#1 Post by Maria »

Well, I was finally debanded after 23 months of captivity on October 30th. Usual protocol, I was given impressions on Monday and today I recieved my retainers (top and bottom). I agree with many others on this site that life in braces was much easier/comfortable than these retainers.. I totally enjoyed the last two days.... so much for that!!
They look like Hawley (??spelling) retainers however, they also have what looks like invisilgnon my top and bottom 4 teeth. I think he called them aligners. Does anyone else have this? Is sort of a combination retainer. I think I could deal with just the regular hawley with the metal bar running across my teeth, but the plastic invisilgn portion makes my teeth look grey..
Also, my ortho said I need to wear them 24x7 for the first two months and then nights only for life. Sounds reasonable.. but he also said that i need to wear them when I eat as well during the next two months. I tried today and nearly chocked so I took them out for 20 minutes tonight to eat.. pure heaven... Anyone else where them when you eat???
PS- I would take braces any day over these dang retainers..

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

I was specifically instructed to take my retainer out to eat or drink, but I am sure it depends on how much work has to be done to fix our teeth as to how much retainer wear we are given. I didn't have too much movement to begin with... Plus, I am only to wear it 10 hours a day. Read Paul's post for details.

I wish you well.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers