Question about bottom bonded retainer...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha08

Question about bottom bonded retainer...

#1 Post by Samantha08 »

So I have my braces off and everything, with a bonded retainer on the bottom. Do you have EACH of the 6 bottom teeth bonded to the retainer? Mine is only bonded to the two teeth on the end, and one of my front middle teeth has shifted forward a tiny bit..
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Samantha. My bottom permanent retainer was put on about 3 weeks ago. It attaches only at the eye teeth as well. I would suggest you give your orthodontist a call, as you don't want that tooth shifting, IMO.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Caroline

#3 Post by Caroline »

Mine is bonded to all 6 teeth, and let me tell you, these suckers aren't going anywhere. Everything is rock steady!
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I will be getting a bonded bottom retainer as well which will be bonded to just the canines. My ortho told me that the teeth might shift a little bit at first but they will settle in.

He also told me though that he would make an essix for the bottom and that I could wear it every so often to make sure the teeth aren't moving.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Alimommy2

#5 Post by Alimommy2 »

Hi! I FINALLY just got access here although I've been reading for a couple days. My bonded retainer is glued to all six, and my ortho never gave me a removable. I moved to another state over 3 years ago though, and have not had any followup since then.

I would be concerned about the wire only being bonded twice because of movement.