Getting braces

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Teddy

Getting braces

#1 Post by Teddy »

Hi

I've signed up to get ceramic braces on my upper teeth only and I'm terrified! I'm told I will have to wear them for a max of 12 months which doesn't sound too bad but is it really as painful as people say it is? I've also been told by "kind" people that my orthodontist is not telling me the whole story and I'll have to get them on my bottom teeth too as my bite will change. Then I heard about retainers! Are they the same thing as a brace but just the wire and no brackets? I thought the retainer was worn at the back of the teeth! I'm now getting really worried and am thinking of chickening out! I already chickened out last year and it has taken me all this time to get up the courage again but people just seem to be doing their best to put me off. Help!

Kevin

#2 Post by Kevin »

Is it that people are doing their best to put you off getting braces or is it that you're looking for excuses to chicken out? Yes, you probably will have to get braces on the bottom as well, but if you read the message board the vast majority of people aren't bothered by them (meaning once you're used to them they just feel like a part of you). For me, braces was an incredibly interesting and easy experience. I went into the process being fascinated by the whole thing and just kept that feeling all the way through. If you start the process fearful, well... Just realize that being fearful is a choice. You could just as easily interpret the physiological responses in your body as excitement. Which will serve you better?

You might want to repost your question to the metal mouth forum instead of the naked tooth. You'll get more responses there. To answer your retainer question though, yes, you'll wear retainers. As for what they look like, I would suggest you pick and ortho, go in for a consultation, and ask the ortho what he or she uses. Make the first step first. Don't chicken out because you're concerned about the last step before you even start.

Kevin

P.S. No offense was intended. I was just trying to be straightforward and honest. I hope you go into the braces experience excited about what you're doing. You always get what you expect to find.