Is it ok to rinse your mouth with water + lemon??

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MsViola

Is it ok to rinse your mouth with water + lemon??

#1 Post by MsViola »

Since I got braces I have MADE myself drink water. I usually put lemon slices in it to make it easier to drink. Is it harmful to my teeth to constantly "swish" it around in my mouth while eating? I am worried that the acid from the lemon may be harmful to my teeth.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

MsViola

#2 Post by MsViola »

Am I the only one who squeezes lemon in their water :?: :?: :D

alexa

#3 Post by alexa »

Nah, I think you're just the only person who worries about what it does to their teeth. j/k :wink:

I'd offer you an answer...but I don't have one. I drink diet coke, coffee and just about do everything in the world that is bad for your teeth, so I'm probably a bad person to ask... :oops: :lol:

I will say though, that when you eat, you're probably eating other acidic foods...it's probably not going to do much more harm than any other acidic food you consume. I mean, you probably brush your teeth and floss frequently like most of us, so I doubt it's any more harmful than anything else.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

IdRatherBeRiding

#4 Post by IdRatherBeRiding »

Water with lemon is the only thing I drink and I drink it constantly throughout the day. I have a 52 oz cup (my co-workers refer to it as "the bucket") that I've been drinking water with lemon from for more than 8 years. I haven't had a cavity in more than that long.

I drink the water with my retainer in and I have no problems at all. I'd say if you're really worried, talk to your ortho or dentist, otherwise enjoy your water.
Julia

MsViola

#5 Post by MsViola »

IdRatherBeRiding - Thanks for the reply. I am not doing well with drinking plain water.

IdRatherBeRiding

#6 Post by IdRatherBeRiding »

I don't like to drink plain water either. I actually use so much lemon (because I drink from my big cup) that I use the Lemon concentrate ("RealLemon" or whatever). I've never had a problem. Not with the braces and not with my retainer.
Julia

ladylikeruby

#7 Post by ladylikeruby »

I squeeze a little lemon and throw a slice into a nice refreshing glass of soda water. It has to be better then Coke or coffee for sure. :D