never thought i'd be here this soon...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennielondon

never thought i'd be here this soon...

#1 Post by jennielondon »

i got a call from the ortho's office yesterday saying dr. b was looking over my x-rays and wanted to meet with me. naturally, i was worried as i have one tricky little tooth that she was worried about.

little did i know what was about to go down...

she had one of the assistants take close-up x-rays.

turns out, my roots in my top front four teeth (aka - the ones we're working on) are short... as in less than 1:1 ratio. As in, my left front tooth looks like a .5:1 root:tooth ratio.
She basically said if I kept the braces on, my teeth may fall out due to the risk of root re-reabsorption (after 2 rounds of braces) and a possible loss in the genetic lottery (grandparents in dentures and mom with tooth problems).
I.
BROKE.
DOWN.

I started crying... I've always hated my teeth. Always. Even after round 1 of braces. I thought this time I'd be able to fix things, to smile proudly...
but no.

A little over an hour and a half after my appointment started, I was brace free and with a copy of my x-rays to take to my dentist.

I know it sounds silly but getting braces made me feel better about myself, just knowing I was doing something to better myself.
I could SMILE. With TEETH. IN PUBLIC.

But no.

It sounds silly, but I'm crushed.

So yeah...
that's my naked tooth.
jennie london
socially awkward since 1984

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

I am very sorry to hear what happened to you.

But there are ways to make your teeth look good. Crowns and implants can make your smile look better. I have seen my general/cosmetic dentist's works. It is even possible to fix bites with cosmetic dentistry.

You have not lost the game!!!!!