Very sore gums after removal?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

colleen

Very sore gums after removal?

#1 Post by colleen »

Hi guys, so happy to have joined the braceless club!!! Did anyone else have extremely irritated gums after removal? It's been nearly a week and I can still barely brush on the right side because my gums are so ripped up. I think that dental assistant was using a pickaxe on my teeth (and gums!) Any recommendations to help in healing?

mtbrncofn

#2 Post by mtbrncofn »

I had the same exact assistant. :lol: I think she was practicing for her butcher's license or something. My gums were so ripped and swollen that I had sores still open when I went to get my teeth cleaned six weeks later.

My hygeinist was pretty surprised and the damage. It took a long time to heal too.

Happy healing!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

colleen

#3 Post by colleen »

Thanks! I tried salt water and they're feeling much better. Now hopefully my dentist visit next week doesn't dig up too many cavities...