Permanent Retainer (Picture!)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sportsgrl97

Permanent Retainer (Picture!)

#1 Post by sportsgrl97 »

Hey! for everyone who is supposed to get a permanent retainer or curious about one and want to know what one looks like (I know i wanted to know what one really looked like...) here's a picture of mine. they arent hard to speak with them, they can sometimes get annoying though if something small gets stuck in it... which is pretty rare, but then again annoying.

Michelle

LynnHowell

#2 Post by LynnHowell »

Wow, yours is a lot different than mine. My wire is flat and not twisted like yours. Also, I have a dollop of cement on each of the 6 teeth which makes flossing easier.

I can't get a good photo of it...I tried. :)
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

mtbrncofn

#3 Post by mtbrncofn »

Yep, mine was exactly as Lynn describes hers. It was horrid. Rough and intruding. I liked my old one better.

Yours looks nice and tame!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

jenstrom

#4 Post by jenstrom »

Mine is one wire.

VeggieCat

#5 Post by VeggieCat »

Mine has a dot of glue on each tooth over the wire. Not too bad. I have a slight lisp with it but I assume I'll I adjust to it in a few days.

tictac

#6 Post by tictac »

It's actually easier to floss with just the two teeth at the ends bonded. You only have to slip the floss through once and then floss the rest as normal. Mine's bonded on each tooth, but that's ok. I don't want those suckers going anywhere.

sportsgrl97

#7 Post by sportsgrl97 »

yeah flossing is really easy... lots of people worry about flossing with permanent retainers but i dont even really see the difference with it only glued to the canines.... i dont know how much of a difference there really is between bonding them to each tooth and bonding them to only the canines.... i have had no movement of the laterals with them bonded to only the canines.

Michelle

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

funny how they're all different! Here's mine:

gold, twisted, globs of glue!

ya, flossing's no biggy!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

juf_84

#9 Post by juf_84 »

Thanks for the pics! I got to see what my retainer would look like at my consult- another patient was happy for me to take a look! Mine won't be twisted, and it looked like it was bonded across all the teeth.

Not long now.....
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

mindykatz

#10 Post by mindykatz »

jennielee81: I think yours is really pretty!! I love gold - I hope mine looks like that when I eventually get it (in 2 years)!

jennielee81

#11 Post by jennielee81 »

Thanks Mindy!

What I like most about the gold...aside from it being pretty, it doesn't show even with a BIG, wide, gaping mouth. You have to practically climb into my mouth (as the camera did) to see it.

I wouldn't care if it were stainless either...as I just want something to keep my teeth from moving forEVER.

Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

oceanblue

#12 Post by oceanblue »

Sportsgrl - yours is really pretty! I hope mine looks like that too. Did you have any problem with it hurting your tounge or messing your speech up?
Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

sportsgrl97

#13 Post by sportsgrl97 »

thanks oceanblue!

no i didnt have any problems with speech. but my tongue would get a little irritated in the beginning because i couldnt control myself from running my tongue over it again and again lol :) .

michelle

str8teeth

#14 Post by str8teeth »

I just got my braces a few weeks ago but during my consult we discussed retainers. I have the option of getting a removable on the bottom too, in addition to the top one. He said that after wearing my retainers constantly for a few months, that I could go to just sleeping with them in, and eventually go to just wearing them for like one night a week, possibly less. Does anyone else have a removable bottom one? And if so, do you have any photos? I'm curious as to what they look like. Thanks :-)
I'm planning to post all of my orthodontic photos to SmugMug. If you are interested in opening an account with SmugMug (which I highly recommend), enter my referral coupon code of 70duJYrJFlNyQ for $5 off the cost of their service. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have. Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

Bellita

#15 Post by Bellita »

I have a question for anyone... My ortho said I would have a permanent retainer on the top and then she mentioned I would be using a Hawley retainer for six months. Does this mean that I will have a Hawley on the bottom and only the permanent on the top? Or can I have both a Hawley and a permanent one on top? seems ridiculous but I dont know.