(Hopefully) brace removed tomorrow, retainer w. 'fake teeth'

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nick_uk

(Hopefully) brace removed tomorrow, retainer w. 'fake teeth'

#1 Post by nick_uk »

Hello,

All being well, my braces should be removed tomorrow. I have two appointments booked with a small break between, the first for the brace removal, and the second for the fitting of the retainer.

My question is relating to some gaps that I have. In the near future, I will be getting implants/bridges fitted, but for now, ive been told about some "fake teeth" that will be attached to the retainer to fill the gaps.

Has anyone any experience with these? I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks.
Click here to make an annoying clicky noise

Medical Student, Braced since December 2004

Nikkiekoala

#2 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have a retainer with a 'fake tooth' it is a Hawley type. I am off to the orhto for my retainer check up now. I will post a pic. later of what it looks like.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Yes, I have fake teeth on my hawley. Since I got my implants the fake teeth had to be adjusted so that they don't put any pressure on the implant area. Basically, the fake teeth are there to keep the teeth from moving into the empty space. You really cannot eat with it in like a partial. Mine don't really look like teeth just tooth colored "blob" actually. They are in my lower back part so no one sees them anyway. They are just part of the acrylic.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Nikkiekoala

#4 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Okay here is the picture I promised. It is not a very good picture but you get the idea. The 'tooth' is actually the acrylic of the retainer brought up to form a 'tooth' and is colored as such. It will hold the space until you are able to get a bridge or implant. I will be getting a bridge but probably not for a year or more. I still have to pay off my braces.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Nikkie...is yours flat on the bottom? How thick is it?

Mine is more contoured and thicker.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Nikkiekoala

#6 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Are you asking about the 'tooth' part? Is so...it is flat on top (biting surface) and rounded on the bottom. It is a bit visible when I open my mouth but unless you know it is part of the retainer I don't think anyone notices. Once I get the bridge done I will get a bonded retainer. But that is going to be a long while from now :(

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Nikkiekoala wrote:Are you asking about the 'tooth' part? Is so...it is flat on top (biting surface) and rounded on the bottom. It is a bit visible when I open my mouth but unless you know it is part of the retainer I don't think anyone notices. :(
From the photo the fake tooth looks flat and thin.
Mine is the size of a normal tooth.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Nikkiekoala

#8 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Mine is actually smaller than an actual tooth. It doesn't not touch the gum line at all. It gradually slops down to the red color of the retainer. It still manages to hold the space tho'.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite

nick_uk

#9 Post by nick_uk »

Got mine in now..they're GREAT!!

Thanks for the insight above, gave me a little bit of knowledge before I got it all fitted. My fake-teeth fill the whole gap down to the gum, they look just like the normal teeth - ill get pics up later on.

All i need to do now is work out how to eat properly wearing this thing!

MB Chick

#10 Post by MB Chick »

I have fake teeth on both my upper canines. Braces off in January, implants in February and I should have the replacement teeth attached to the implants at the end of May/beginning of June. So, about 3 months. Even though my huge gaps are pretty much in the front, I have ended up taking my retainer out to eat socially - forewarned and got the "okay" from my regular eating group! I just got tired of trying to eat that carefully and worrying about changing the fit of the retainer.

All in all, was much easier before the fake teeth, but manageable. And they definitely do their job of keeping the space open.

At first the fake teeth looked relatively inoccuous, but as my ortho was doing adjustments with the retainers (taking off the braces earlier) now they sit lower so they definitely look at bit odd.

But, I figure so a huge improvement will just will add to the fun of having the replacement teeth attached!

Betty Bat

#11 Post by Betty Bat »

Boy, have I been waiting for this thread! This is what I want - me, of the baby teeth with no permanent teeth below them! I'm supposed to get implants, but am perfectly willing to wait a while for them because I'm a wussie girl and because I'm going to be paying to get my metal fillings replaced and to get veneers for my front teeth. So, I'm hoping to at least put off the implants for a while.

I had my upper brackets taken off on April 19 and went to my dentist for a cleaning on April 27. My dentist said that he would talk with my ortho before the lowers come off to see what the best thing would be - could I use a retainer with a "tooth" on it or go right for the implants (and how long I could wait for the implants). So, I expect to have an answer when I go to the ortho next week, because we're supposed to be setting up the date to take the lowers off (Yay!)

MB Chick

#12 Post by MB Chick »

Hi Betty Bat,

Me too! Missing upper canines and (at a later age than you, now 45) found out a year ago that the roots for the baby teeth were giving up the ghost and a decision needed to be made. I went with the implants, hence the braces (as I didn't have any other reasons) to make room for the implants.

I have the posts in, which really wasn't much of a process, and am looking forward to finally having "adult" teeth up there in a month!

nick_uk

#13 Post by nick_uk »

I was meant to get 6 implants, but when I had a few of the baby teeth surgically removed, they removed a little too much bone with a couple of them..ill have to settle for 2 bridges instead.

Currently, 2 of the baby teeth still remain, so as to maintain the bone. Ive decided to get them both crowned, as then ill have what looks like a full mouth of adult teeth! At least until I remove my retainer anyway :)

Sorry about the delay with the pic, but I haven't got my camera with me.

Betty Bat

#14 Post by Betty Bat »

Dear MB Chick,
I doubt that you found out at a later age than me - I'm 54! One baby tooth was pulled when I was 12 and the other when I was 53, just before my braces went on.

looloog

Hi

#15 Post by looloog »

I was just reading this thread and have a quick questions. Can a fake tooth be placed on an essix retainer?
Can one eat with an essix retainer?